© 2013 Bonita Yip

Day 7: Still jet-lagging

My co-workers defines jet-lags as “my ‘body clock‘ is not working right.” This is the few instance when phrases and meanings are lost in translation and it can actually sound better than the original.

However, one of the highlights this past week was attending a speaking session by Rajeshbhai at the Entrepreneur Development Institute (EDI) of India. For me, since it was my first time hearing him speak, it was truly inspiring to learn about the SABRAS story firsthand. All the workshop participants were here in India to learn about starting social enterprises, many of them were from places such as Russia, Vietnam, Ghana, Sri Lanka, etc. Ruzzana Ivanian (she was a Fulbright Scholar at Louisiana State University; originally from Russia) told me on the side that she very much enjoyed the event (and thought Rajeshbhai was so charming!) Also, we were both interested in CSR (or “Corporate Social Responsibility”), so I got in a little bit of networking as well!

Through the rest of the week, I helped edit an article that was to be published by The Guardian (it’s a very notable UK publication). Also, SABRAS was not un-familiar to being in the media, as they’ve been featured in Bloomberg’s “Down to Earth” series this past February. Take a look!

As I dived into my background research about the organization during the first week, it became obvious that social media was not their strength (but its not that they lacked the material; they’ve been also covered by the Times of India). Considering SABRAS’s impact and work is centered on alleviating conditions for marginalized workers in Gujarat, it appears marketing wasn’t their top priority at this moment.

Social enterprise “Lesson of the day: As there are many competing priorities, not everything will get the full attention it deserves. Understand what is important to the organization and devote resources to it; however, also keep a “long-term” outlook to determine whether any resources now will be helpful in the future.

Hopefully, developing and ramping up a comprehensive social media plan will be one of the main tasks that I can contribute to during my time here (glad that I had a “cause-marketing” internship experience @ Cone Communications/Timberland from last summer, so that is definitely valuable!)

BTW, over the weekend, as I ventured out and started walking around the city, I came upon Gwalia Sweets (it a 2013 Award winner in the  Times of India as Best Place for Sweets.) I am elated that there is a “foodie scene” here…channeling my inner “Yelp Elite!” I got a “pita pinna king,” which is yogurt based dessert with pomegranate, kiwi, and fresh mint (maybe?) Either way, for Rp. 35, it was a happy find after a long day of walking around. Oh, and they sell water by the pouches here (for Rp. 1). Mom will be happy to know that because water sanitation was her biggest concern (although, it does taste a bit like plastic when I drink from it…)

BTW, my co-worker Joseph introduced me to Amul’s Dahi….and my world has been changed for the better (it has a consistency between greek yogurt and cottage cheese.) Apparently, the Amul brand (also a B2B company) started out as a social enterprise in Gujarat to stop the exploitation of milk farmers. Well, I am very glad that my rupees are being spent on improving the quality of life for others in India. See, this does prove that social enterprises can be scaled! 😀

For more information, take a look: http://www.amul.com/m/about-us