Maame Afon (Alice) Yelbert-Obeng: Bringing All of Who She Is to Everything She Does

Written by  //  February 25, 2013  //  Alumni Stories, IPS  //  1 Comment

Maame Afon“I am thankful for the opportunity to have connected with the Global Women’s Leadership Network (GWLN) three years ago. From the GWLN Women Leaders for the World (WLW) program began my journey to embody the mantra I now live by: ‘Whole Woman, Whole Leader, for a Whole World.’”  With her charismatic smile and beautiful voice, Maame Afon (Alice) Yelbert-Obeng (MAIPS ’05) continues: “Living as a ‘Whole Woman’ means bringing all of who you are to what you do—your presence, your experiences, your faith, your gifts, your wholeness—to change your environment, because when we bring all of who we are to what we do, everyone benefits.”

“I am thankful for the opportunity to provide transformative mentorship to young African women through my work with the Moremi Initiative for Women’s Leadership in Africa,” Maame says, mentioning also other aspects of her work that she appreciates greatly, such as the ability to support through grant-making, advocacy and philanthropy women who are on the front lines addressing some of the most challenging issues of our time. Originally from Ghana, Maame is particularly happy to make a difference in the lives of women and girls from the continent she calls home.

Maame AfonMaame’s career of giving also extends to the gift of music. “In May 2012, a long-held dream of mine came true with the release of my debut album Rise, out of which has grown another vision to use music to promote social justice.” In the end it all comes down to bringing all that you are (which in Maame’s case is a lot) to everything you do. “Where I am today as a mother, wife, professional, singer, and speaker—as a whole woman—is a sum of the people, places and communities such as my MIIS family that I have encountered, and for that I give thanks.” Maame is currently working on music for a new album to be released in the spring. For more information visit her website, www.maameafon.com.

One Comment on "Maame Afon (Alice) Yelbert-Obeng: Bringing All of Who She Is to Everything She Does"

1. ivan woods March 27, 2014 at 7:20 am · Reply

you are really inspiring.