The Digital Learning Commons offers customized support for students, faculty, staff, and the broader MIIS community in the form of individual consultations and group workshop trainings.
- The Design Space is McGowan 001, which is most directly accessed at 420 Calle Principal. It can also be accessed by walking through the Learning Lab and down the steps.
- The Learning Lab is on the first floor of McGowan, and you can reach it by entering McGowan on Pacific Street and heading to the right (around the back of McGowan 102). You can also enter at 420 Calle Principal and go up the stairs.
- The Co-working Suite is on the second floor of McGowan, MG 210. This is where the DLC’s Pacific Room is also located, so go straight there if you have reserved that room. Inside the co-working suite are four rooms:
- Pacific Room—reservable small group working space
- Otter Room—quiet drop-in study space or for very small meetings
- Tidal Zone—walk-through and working space
- The Cove—offices for some of the full-time DLC staff
Drop–ins and Appointments
MIIS faculty, staff, and students can drop-in to the DLC for help, Mon-Fri. Just look for anyone wearing a name tag or lanyard; we are all happy to help! You can also schedule an appointment with us.
Graduate assistants and staff are on hand in the Learning Lab to field questions and assist with projects that might include a variety of tools with digital or design components:
Online Teaching & Learning Platforms
- Course Hub http://courses.miis.edu
- MIIS Moodle Course Management System http://ilearn.miis.edu
- Adobe Connect http://middlebury.adobeconnect.com
- WordPress http://sites.miis.edu
- Google Apps for Edu http://go.miis.edu/setupgoogle
Multimedia – Audio & Video
- Video Editing (iMovie, YouTube Editor, Wevideo, Final Cut Pro)
- Audio Recording and Editing, Podcasting (Garage Band, Audacity, Camtasia)
- Digital Storytelling (Garage Band, Audacity, Camtasia, Soundslides)
- Voiceover Lectures and Presentations (Camtasia)
- Skype recording, Screencasting (Skype Recorder, Camtasia)
Presentation & Graphic Design
- Photo Editing (Photoshop, PicMonkey)
- Presentation Tools (Keynote, Powerpoint, Prezi)
- Infographics (Piktochart)
- Digital Signs, Fliers, Banners, Posters, etc. (Powerpoint, Keynote, Canva, Photoshop Word, Easel.ly, InDesign)
Blogging & Web Tools
- Website Design, Course Portfolios, Blogging (WordPress, Weebly, Blogger)
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest)
- Data Analysis (Excel)—Help given in collaboration with META Lab
- Design Thinking
- Project & Idea Development
Request an Appointment for a Consultation
Students or faculty requiring more advanced support are welcome to set up appointments with specific staff or GAs. Link to: Appointment Request Form
Skill-Building Workshops & Resources
We also occasionally host a series of skill-building workshops in the Design-Sp@ce located in the McGowan Building at 420 Calle Principal St.
We would like to remind you about our campus-wide access to Lynda.com online video training and tutorials for software you or your students may be working with. To access these videos go to http://go.miis.edu/lynda and login with your MIIS username and password.
Course Project Support
We’ve had great success in consulting with classes that are integrating website projects, presentation skills, digital stories, podcasting and tele-collaboration.
Reserving the D Sp@ce
Our Design Sp@ce is a common area that you can customize to your needs, such as classroom-style, lounge area, or small working groups. We encourage students and faculty to reserve the D Sp@ce for classes, events and projects. When not reserved, it’s open to all as a place to come study, have meetings, or just hang out between classes. View our online availability calendar here.
We have two recording booths set up with microphones and software to record podcasts or presentations. Fill out a recording booth reservation form here.