A recent career fair panel discussion hosted by GSTILE assembled representatives from a remarkable range of professional associations from across the interpreting spectrum.
Facilitator Jacolyn Harmer, Professor and Program Chair for Translation and Interpretation, noted that
Sometimes we participate in events in our lives when we don’t really fully understand the complete significance of those events. I’m going to suggest that this might be one of them for you, because if you look at this panel, I doubt that you will ever be in a room again with this kind of expertise all assembled at one time.
Representatives from the following organizations shared their perspectives in English, Spanish and French, with simultaneous interpretation into English provided by interpretation practicum students:
- American Translators Association (ATA): Christian Degueldre, designated representative
- International Association of Conference Interpreters (AIIC): Muriel Angle, AIIC member from San Francisco
- National Association of Judicial Interpreters and Translators (NAJIT): Curtis Draves, NAJIT member from Northern California
- California Federation of Interpreters (CFI): Curtis Draves, President
- The American Association of Language Specialists (TAALS): Teresa Willett, President
- The Judicial Council of California: Anne Marx, Court Interpreters Program, Executive Office of the Courts
Many thanks to the panelists as well as all who organized, contributed to, and participated in this event.