Graduate Endeavors

-Photo by Lars Schlereth

Photo by Lars Schlereth

Listed below are the various projects and events I completed during my graduate studies at the Monterey Institute of International Studies:

Lyon Summer Program Design and Assessment (current)

In conjunction with my course called “International Program Design and Assessment” I am

working with a client to design series of summer program options for underrepresented students in Lyon, France. Courses in Chemistry, Fashion, Pharmacy, Exercise and Sports Science, and Acroecology will be taught in English, and students will simultaneously take French language courses.

Berges du Rhone- Personal photo

Berges du Rhone- Personal photo

Country Case Study:Vietnam (12/2/2013)

I recently completed a course entitled “Comparative International Education”. For this course I have created a website with information on education in the country of Vietnam. To read more about Vietnam’s education history, current structure, politics, challenges, etc, please visit my site.

Budgeting Committee Simulation (12/3/2013)

My course on budgeting in international organizations taught me the skills necessary to prepare and manage a budget for a program, a department, and for an institution as a whole. The students were divided into groups, which served as budgeting committees for “Alpha University” (a make-believe mid-sized research institution for undergraduate and graduate students) and for it’s various departments.

Project image - designed by Lars Schlereth

Project image – designed by Lars Schlereth

For several of the group projects, my committee took on roles from the Library and Media Services departments of Alpha University; proposing budget increases in prosperous times and budget reductions in challenging times. For the proposal of budget increases, our committee created a website, which can be viewed here.

Recruitment Fair (11/11/2013):

For my class entitled “International Education Marketing and Recruiting”, our class has been divided into groups that serve as marketing committees for various clients. Our task is to develop a marketing plan for our clients and present it to them for approval at the end of the semester.

Recruitment Fair-Personal Photo

Recruitment Fair-Personal Photo

As part of our marketing plan development, we were asked to prepare materials on our client’s product for a recruitment fair. This fair took place during the usual class time, and the event attracted between 10 and 15 faculty and staff from the Monterey Institute of international Studies (MIIS).

My committee has developed a marketing plan for the Middlebury School of the Environment, which is launching it’s pilot program this summer in Middlebury, Vermont.

For more information on the Middlebury School of the Environment, go to http://www.middlebury.edu/environment

NAFSA Region XII Conference (11/6/2013-11/8/2013)

I attended my first NAFSA regional conference this year, held in San Diego, California. 37 students, 2 faculty and 1 staff member from MIIS attended the event, which tipped the scale to make the conference the highest attended regional NAFSA conference in history. (Group photo here)

NAFSA Region XII - Photo by Aimee Devitto

NAFSA Region XII – Photo by Aimee Devitto

The conference was extremely well organized with informative staff-led sessions, tabling events, and poster fairs. I was able to learn about topics such as underrepresented students in study abroad, faculty-led study abroad programs, the similarities and differences between staff working at an education abroad office versus road warriors with the advantages and challenges faced on each side, etc.

From the contacts I made and the information I learned, I definitely look forward to future NAFSA regional and national conferences.

Poster Fair (10/9/2013)

For my course entitled “Principles and Practices of International Education”, we learned about a broad spectrum of topics involving international education including international student services, study abroad, assessment, etc.

Poster Fair - Personal photo

Poster Fair – Personal photo

On October 9th our class of 50 students held a poster fair to present organizations involved in international education. I chose to present information on the TAPIF )Teaching Assistant Program In France) because I participated in this program just before beginning my graduate studies at MIIS. To learn more about TAPIF, click here