Home » Email » How do I create a rule for spam messages in Webmail?

How do I create a rule for spam messages in Webmail?

Note: This feature of Webmail is only available in Microsoft Internet Explorer; Safari and Firefox browsers have this option disabled.

1. Go to Options tab on the top right corner. Select “Rules” and then “New Rule”
    mailrule
  2. Select “If the message includes specific words”.   Check the box for “In the sender’s address” See example at the bottom of this article.
  3. Below is an example of how to augment a rule to filter messages with certain words in the subject line and message body.
    mailrule2

It is recommended to have messages sent to the Junk Folder rather than deleted — you never know if someone, by chance, might include the same word you’ve blocked from your Inbox.

4. Be sure to save the rule once you are finished.

For spam messages that appear to come in addressed from yourself, the most effective rule is to Junk or Delete messages specifically from yourself TO yourself. In webmail, the rule should apply to messages from the SENDER’S ADDRESS. Here is an example of that rule.
mailrule3

Tags: , , , ,

3 Comments

1. OK…I did it but I still get viagra messages…AND in entourage it notifies me every time I get spam which is alot these days and always about male enhancement… : (

2. Greg Harris says:

Argh. I must be missing a step. It works 100% for some people, but not for everyone. Are you sure you are blocking the words in the sender’s address and not just the subject and body?

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Sites DOT MIIS: the Monterey Institute site network.