What are the minimum laptop system specifications?
Minimum Laptop System Specification: Recommendations for Students
- Processor: Intel 2Ghz or greater processor or equivalent
- Memory: 4GB (8GB for Mac users running Windows)
- Hard Drive: 500GB
- Operating System: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Mac OS X
- Wireless: Internal or external wireless adapter 802.11b/g/n
Note: these minimum standards may not be sufficient for students who will be using resource-intensive applications, such as computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools, but will meet most needs for students in other programs.
Warning: Some specialized software for the TLM, T&I and CAT programs require Windows to operate. Students who bring a Windows PC or laptop to campus should be able to install the necessary software. If you plan to bring a Mac with you to school for these programs you may be required to purchase and install a copy of Windows on your Mac. Students are solely responsible for the additional cost of purchasing a legal Windows license. Windows can be installed on a Mac using the built-in Bootcamp feature, or by first installing virtualization software such as VirtualBox. We recommend that you install Windows on your Mac prior to coming to campus if possible. Virtualization is a great way to run Windows and also have access to your Mac programs at the same time. Instructions for using the freely available VirtualBox can be found here: Installing Windows on your Mac using VirtualBox.
In addition to laptop computers, here are some related items we recommend bringing with you to campus:
- Laptop Lock
- External USB drives, such as flash drive and USB hard drive for data backup
- Operating system installation/repair discs that came with your laptop purchase, or which the manufacturer’s software prompted you to create
- Computer Warranty Information, user guide, manual, and other documents that came with your computer
- Power Strip or Surge Protector with 6 ft. cable
- 25 ft. Ethernet Cable
Important note: make sure you have valid antivirus software installed on your computer. Updated antivirus software is required for any computer that connects to the school network!