© 2016 Lindsay Cope

Philippine Women’s University visits Calatagan

I have been communicating with the faculty of the Philippine Women’s University ever since September.  My good friend Angel put me in touch with the environmental studies faculty and we began to plan a field trip for the students.

The aim of the trip was to provide an opportunity for students to be exposed to the coastal ecosystems.  Despite their studies in fisheries and coastal marine management, many of the students had not spent much time in the mangrove, seagrass, and coral habitats.

The group arrived on April 12 and visited the Enrique Zobel Museum to learn more about the history of Calatagan.  On April 13, the students arrived in Barangay Gulod for a full day of exposure. Our morning started with a lecture about the coastal ecosystems and the national and local legal framework managing these areas. Then the students got to snorkel in the mangroves, where we observed translucent juvenile fish and some crabs among the roots of the rhizophora.

DCIM100GOPRO

DCIM100GOPRO

DCIM100GOPRO

DCIM100GOPRO

DCIM100GOPRO

DCIM100GOPRO

DCIM100GOPROAfter an exciting underwater sightseeing adventure, we enjoyed lunch on the floating house over the seagrass bed. Lunch prepared by Calataganda Tours is always a delicious array of seafood and veggies. Everyone had healthy appetites after exploring the mangroves.

DCIM100GOPRO

DCIM100GOPRO

DCIM100GOPRO

After digesting lunch, the students snorkeled around the seagrass before a lecture on corals. Then we made our way to the reef where the students, mostly first time snorkelers, were able to enjoy the water and observe the corals.

I was enjoying my new fins and free diving around the reef when I swam right into a sea snake!  I didn’t notice it as I was following a wrasse, but then I saw it, coiled up in a coral, raising up as I approached.  When I spotted it, I yelped and maneuvered back toward the boat.  Apay, Jessie’s brother, witnessed the entire exchange and was thoroughly amused at my situation (the entire family continued to tease me the rest of the afternoon, but I didn’t mind, in truth it was a funny encounter). After teasing me, he alerted Jessie to the snake. He  and some of the more brave students were able to get a closer look.

At the end of the day, the student feedback was excellent.  They had all learned something to enhance their environmental studies, including the importance of community engagement, the interconnectedness of the three coastal ecosystems, and the lifecycle of marine species. It was a successful collaboration and we hope that the students of PWU will return again next year!

DCIM100GOPRO

31 Comments

1. Marc A. Wulff
    Posted August 26, 2020 at 2:39 pm | #

When you are seeking a gambling enterprise, you are possibly searching for a betting place which would be fun concerning gaming, you would certainly want the video gaming to be totally free and also enjoyable, you would certainly desire the chosen gambling establishment to provide you with the largest diapason of generous bonuses. Likewise, you would certainly wish to be not only delighted, however likewise to feel risk-free & noise. Right? In this situation, you have a straight roadway to https://www.bestcodeappreview.com. Below you will find the most effective problems for you, I’m chatting not just regarding your personal safe and secure and benefits after registration, I’m discussing no down payment incentives as well as welcome benefit. Nevertheless if you ever before need a person’s help, get in touch with the support

2. Jorge Roman
    Posted August 3, 2020 at 12:02 am | #

Do you need a perfect present? From amazing collection of watches to toys for kids, we have all that you need. Impexlog Inc. is a known platform for Top Best Online shopping in Calgary delivering excellent quality products to the clients. Make sure to visit our website for detailed information of our services.

3. linda perryly
    Posted July 7, 2020 at 9:16 pm | #

You just do to me, what you do
    And it feels like I’ve been rescued
    fireboy and watergirl

4. lindaperryly
    Posted July 7, 2020 at 9:10 pm | #

just give a resion
    just a little bit enough
    fireboy and watergirl

5. lindaperryly
    Posted July 7, 2020 at 9:09 pm | #

You just do to me, what you do
    And it feels like I’ve been rescued
    fireboy and watergirl

6. Michael Burris
    Posted June 22, 2020 at 10:04 am | #

Xord Cosmetics are a team of professionals and specialists working to formulate the Best Natural Herbal Essences Shampoo For Hair and skincare products for the customers. We make sure to deliver quality in our products so they can produce healthier results. Make sure to visit our website to find detailed information about our services.

7. Lynda William
    Posted June 20, 2020 at 1:20 pm | #

Professional Eastern Oklahoma Dental Care in Tulsa is a devoted dental facility providing dental care services and emergency services with proficiency and care. We have a team of professional and experienced dentists making sure that you have healthy and white teeth. Make sure to meet our team and learn about our services by visiting our website.

8. John Smith
    Posted June 10, 2020 at 7:05 am | #

hey nice post i like it

9. Rosalie Powell
    Posted June 10, 2020 at 7:04 am | #

Thanks for sharing, the information that you composed for your visitors is remarkable. I actually appreciate the method you compose write-ups, looks like you have lots of technique. As for me, I am an author; it is my job and also my pastime at the same time. I ca n`t imagine myself at something various. I think I was birthed for aiding people with my evaluations. Incidentally, one of them you can read on https://desertnightscasino.com. There you will find pointers and also guidelines regarding making money online. If you like it, please let me know.

10. Lina Rose
    Posted June 8, 2020 at 10:19 pm | #
  11. it solution
    Posted June 5, 2020 at 1:24 am | #

To accelerate it solution project development and produce outcome-oriented results, we follow a disciplined work process to prevent risks and helps you skyrocket success. https://itsolution24x7.com/blog/duplicate-a-page-on-wordpress/

12. Giulia jones
    Posted May 21, 2020 at 1:33 pm | #

You should include a line that says you are accepted to be reasonable for the course(s) you are applying for, ideally with some clarification why. Other than that, general reference stuff about participation, infection and a constructive rundown of your character. It doesn’t need to be extremely long. https://www.instylejackets.co.uk/product-category/mens-leather-jackets-coats-vest

13. Keira Neal
    Posted March 17, 2020 at 12:09 am | #

Some countries are very lucky to have the sea, I really love swimming, but here there are no seas. fleeingthecomplex.us

14. Jack
    Posted January 21, 2020 at 9:12 pm | #

Our morning began with a talk about the beach front environments and the national and nearby legitimate system dealing with these zones. Visits is constantly a tasty exhibit of fish and veggies. Everybody had solid cravings subsequent to investigating the mangroves.
    USA Web Design Express

15. lindanpham
    Posted December 29, 2019 at 8:25 pm | #

The article you shared here is very awesome. I really like and appreciate your work. I have read your article deeply, the points that you mentioned in this article are useful
    tweakbox

16. fnaf
    Posted October 25, 2019 at 12:35 am | #

The image of the trip is very beautiful. I am quite impressed with your trip. the scenery here is very beautiful.
    boxnovel

17. Manana
    Posted October 23, 2019 at 10:22 pm | #

Amazing collection of images, do you have more high-quality diving images? Funny to see you playing soccer.

18. Edwin Harris
    Posted August 5, 2019 at 8:44 am | #

I usually hear about this place but now I see on my own eyes. This is truly beautiful as people say. If I have a chance, I want to be here once to feel it. 2 player games

19. susan mayer
    Posted August 1, 2019 at 12:51 am | #

Its an incredible joy perusing your post.Its brimming with data I am searching for and I want to post a remark that “The substance of your post is magnificent” Great work. https://www.sims4wiki.com/

20. Tom
    Posted July 16, 2019 at 3:10 am | #

I was always interested in psychology, but life had different plans and I became programmer. cat ninja unblocked version

21. Jewel R. Giblin
    Posted May 28, 2019 at 11:14 am | #

lOOK very great adventure university of philippine done nice work for their students I would like to add this article in this university Wikipedia page as a reference through wikipedia page creation agency because i want to tell everyone about this types of activity

22. Sarah
    Posted April 4, 2019 at 4:39 am | #

The Philippines, officially the Republic of the Philippines, is an archipelagic country in Southeast Asia.

23. free sports streamin
    Posted March 26, 2019 at 5:05 am | #

Great efforts put it to find the list of articles which is very useful to know, Definitely will share the same to other forums.
    https://www.viraltrench.com/best-free-sports-streaming-sites/

24. Samsun Rock
    Posted February 4, 2019 at 2:30 am | #

Guys, here you can get something special online platform for playing a best Freecell online game on your gadget, i am glad to mentioned this awesome place for every players and here it is no need to any registration.

25. Patricia Grays
    Posted December 3, 2018 at 5:17 am | #

I believe environmental studies help learners to built understanding on the ecological problems. When it learning as a major, the learners will learning all the risks to atmosphere and how it can be resolves. The learners who learning ecological subject can work for the situation by shielding it from the risks. The learners can assist the scarce variety, the variety which are going to extricated and so on.

26. Lyricsfed
    Posted November 25, 2018 at 11:07 pm | #

Find out which music videos and song lyrics were the most played this week @ http://www.lyricsfed.com

27. Herry
    Posted November 22, 2018 at 6:24 pm | #

Our morning started with a lecture about the coastal ecosystems and the national and local legal framework managing these areas.
    http://geometrydashfree.com

28. maryrosie
    Posted October 31, 2018 at 11:39 pm | #

wow! These look perfect!! this is truly an amazing article twitch

29. Stevemark1
    Posted October 22, 2018 at 12:19 am | #

I have been human action with the college of the Philippine Women’s University ever since Sept. My smart friend Angel place ME in reality with the environmental studies college and that we began to arrange a pleasure trip for the scholars.

regards: British Assignment writers

30. Edwin Knox
    Posted October 19, 2018 at 5:01 am | #

The under water world is just another thing from our environment. The beauty and the adventure one can go through in their can’t be defined by just words. http://www.assignmentprofs.co.uk

31. http://gree-vn.com
    Posted April 27, 2016 at 3:01 am | #

Great story !
    It is very nice to see young people aware and motivated about environmental issues like this. And it is always better when the practical case is snokerling in a wonderful coral recife !
    Keep going,
    Regards

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>