Our Little Roses

The Starting Line

The Starting Line

On an early morning in June 2010, I looked out over the misty California coast anxious to run my first half-marathon. Each step I took pushed me closer to the finish line where relief and a sense of accomplishment awaited. However, those steps were not for me. Each step I took, ache I felt, and emotion I experienced was for a group of young orphaned girls living in Honduras. The run was a grass-roots effort to raise hope, promise and change for Our Little Roses, a home for abandoned, abused and orphaned girls in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. These girls are dear to my heart and I am incredibly proud to be part of this annual event promoting positive social change.

Me At Mile 10

Me At Mile 10

Our Little Roses opened its doors to 26 destitute girls in 1998. Thus began a journey of hope with life-changing dimensions for physically and emotionally abused girls. The home has since grown to encompass a two and a half acre compound housing more than 50 girls ages 1-23. Our Little Roses also includes a transitional program for young adults from the home whom are attending University. With no governmental social service funding available, many Honduran children will become victims of poverty, abuse, disease, and oppression. Girls arrive at the home scared, under-nourished, and abused with very little or no schooling at all. All of the girls come from similar circumstances, but each one is special to the staff, and seen as unique.

My Students

I continually look for innovative ways to engage learners and increase participation. I encourage students to develop the mind through thoughtful conversation and experience, and believe learners should discover and construct meaning based on experiences.