Baba Mike

One of the most impressive meetings that we had was with this famous religious leader known as Baba Mike. I know almost everyone blogged about him so I may not convey anything new; however, I feel strongly that I have to share my impressions. From the moment I entered his office, I felt a strong presence of calmness and peace. The moment I saw a man in a white T-shirt and black pants welcoming us with his kindest smiles, I knew it was the person whom our professor, Dr. Iyer, spoke highly of. Baba Mike had not only been a religious representative, he was also one of the strongest peace advocates in Mindanao. He communicated with the people to give them the opportunity to see their problems and find solutions to their problems. He negotiated with the military, armed group’s representatives, the local people, and the children. Using different techniques he helped them find peace within themselves and then navigated them on how to make peace among themselves and others. Whenever he talked about conflict resolution, he emphasized on the important technique of talking. One might ask: but what about two groups who were and are fighting and murdering each other? How could he alone just using his words make them, at least, gather under one roof? He not only brought them together but also made them eat together at one table and talk. He strongly believes that “biases are because of ignorance.” That’s why, in order to decrease or eliminate biases and misunderstandings, people need to know about each other by sharing with each other. “Truth liberates” he said, and this reminded me on the Conflict Resolution course readings that emphasized on open talks and why they are hard to initiate because the conflict parties insistent on their positions. Finally, he advised us to “achieve big, start small,” which I interpret as having big global goal, such as bringing peace to the whole world, should start with a small “purok” (street) and grow from there.