I am spending my summer working for the IANSA’s UN Liaison office in New York and am in day two of a two week meeting on the ATT so I will report about Sierra Leone’s participation. Sierra Leone was the only State to mention gender!!
Sierra Leone delegate statement points
- The issue of gender is important in considering the ATT since armed conflict is never gender neutral
- Condolences of victims of Uganda from yesterday’s bombing Parliamentarians for Global Action has been advocating for the ATT
- Sierra Leone suffered because of a lack of this treaty and it is overdue
- Sierra Leone enacted initiatives around SALW but 8 yrs later Sierra Leone is still struggling to recover from the conflict
- We are grateful for the $100,000 contribution to amputees from the Secretary General
- Sierra Leone, more than ever, is ready to cooperate to move forward with the ATT since they had a largest peacekeeping operation due to the 11 yr war