From Sophos Threatsaurus
- Virus – malicious code, meant to destroy, hijack, replicate
- Spam – unsolicited email, like junk mail
- Malware – general term, program that with bad intentions
- Phishing – messages which try to trick you into sharing sensitive information.
Simply: longer is better. Use a combination of upper & lower case letters, numbers and symbols. Use different passwords for different accounts.
Use a password manager such as LastPass.
What Can I Do
- Resist clicking on links in emails; go to the site directly
- Do keep your Windows/Mac OS up to date, set it for automatic updates
- Do keep all your browser up to date. Use multiple browsers
- Do install an antivirus and keep it up to date. Mac and smartphones too.
- Do back up your files
- Do use strong passwords; use different passwords for different sites/services; keep it private; use a password manager
- Do protect your email address; have several email addresses
- Do make sure your important sites eg. financial, medical, etc., use HTTPS; the browser.
- Read the install screens
Get the Middlebury Antivirus: Sophos
This is available for free to the entre MIIS/Middlebury community.
How to Minimize Spam
- Protect your email address
- Have several email accounts for several purposes
- Don’t post or allow it to be posted on sites.
- Consider an email alias for work