From Sophos Threatsaurus
- Virus – malicious code, meant to destroy, hijack, replicate
- Spam – unsolicited email, like junk mail
- Malware – general term, program that with bad intentions
- Phishing – messages which try to trick you into sharing sensitive information.
Simply: longer is better. Use a combination of upper & lower case letters, numbers and symbols. Use different passwords for different accounts.
Use a password manager such as LastPass.
What Can I Do
- Resist clicking on links in emails; go to the site directly
- Do keep your Windows/Mac OS up to date, set it for automatic updates
- Do keep all your browser up to date. Use multiple browsers
- Do install an antivirus and keep it up to date. Mac and smartphones too.
- Do back up your files
- Do use strong passwords; use different passwords for different sites/services; keep it private; use a password manager
- Do protect your email address; have several email addresses
- Do make sure your important sites eg. financial, medical, etc., use HTTPS; the browser.
- Read the install screens
Get the Middlebury Antivirus: Sophos
This is available for free to the entre MIIS/Middlebury community.
How to Minimize Spam
- Protect your email address
- Have several email accounts for several purposes
- Don’t post or allow it to be posted on sites.
- Consider an email alias for work
The Staff Advisory Team (S.A.T.) openly invites each of you to apply to join the team. In addition to community celebrations, this year we are proud to say that we have been a part of the following movements on campus.
- The implementation and organization of the employee years of service recognition event
- Served as the voice of staff for the November 20th Board of Overseers Visit
- Planning and supporting a variety of staff development workshops on both technological and interpersonal skills
- The streamlining of communication through educational opportunities such as : Middlebury and the Matrix Presentation, Navigating Human Resources Across Middlebury, and the recently begun Staff Networking Meetings
S.A.T. sets their agenda based off of the Staff Survey. On a continuous basis, S.A.T. works with the Vice President’s Office, Human Resources, and the Staff Constituent Member of the Board of Overseers (Kenley Butler) to make possible opportunities and suggestions for improvements on campus. We connect with staff in Middlebury and we also work to support the MIIS community and their departmental missions by co-hosting events such as the Alumni Relations Chili Lunch Break.
We are asking that all interested applicants provide the following information:
- Name and Department
- Reason why they would like to join S.A.T
- At least one impact/change they would like to be a part of implementing on campus
- At least one event/workshop you would like to schedule for staff participation
Applications will be due by close of business on Friday, May 15th, 2015. As set forth by the creators of S.A.T. in 2009, applicants must not be part of the senior administration of MIIS campus. As S.A.T. prides itself on maintaining a voluntary, dynamic, diverse, and flexible team we hope that we will receive applications from members of all departments on campus with a variety of different skill sets and talents. If you should have any questions in regards to time commitment and the running of S.A.T. please feel free to contact us upon your convenience at email@example.com . Your questions are always welcome. Here are the bios on the current members: http://sites.miis.edu/staff/category/current-staff-advisory-team-members-2014/
S.A.T. Team (Lauren Patron-Castro, Angie Quesenberry, Sam Bravo, Trish Aportela, Catherine Snapp, and Maria Osorio)
Fall Season schedule for the women’s soccer team. Games are every Sunday at 1PM at Pacific Grove High School’s turf field. The final is December 14th. The next game is this Sunday.
The MIIS Peace Corps Club is selling beautiful calendars so that they can send care packages to PCMIs (Peace Corps Master’s International) students that are currently serving around the world. This year’s calendars are $15 each and make great gifts for the holiday season! Please contact Peace Corps Club Vice President Kelly Quackenbush at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested! The Peace Corps Club thanks you for your continued support of their activities.