From Sophos Threatsaurus
- Virus – malicious code, meant to destroy, hijack, replicate
- Spam – unsolicited email, like junk mail
- Malware – general term, program that with bad intentions
- Phishing – messages which try to trick you into sharing sensitive information.
Simply: longer is better. Use a combination of upper & lower case letters, numbers and symbols. Use different passwords for different accounts.
Use a password manager such as LastPass.
What Can I Do
- Resist clicking on links in emails; go to the site directly
- Do keep your Windows/Mac OS up to date, set it for automatic updates
- Do keep all your browser up to date. Use multiple browsers
- Do install an antivirus and keep it up to date. Mac and smartphones too.
- Do back up your files
- Do use strong passwords; use different passwords for different sites/services; keep it private; use a password manager
- Do protect your email address; have several email addresses
- Do make sure your important sites eg. financial, medical, etc., use HTTPS; the browser.
- Read the install screens
Get the Middlebury Antivirus: Sophos
This is available for free to the entre MIIS/Middlebury community.
How to Minimize Spam
- Protect your email address
- Have several email accounts for several purposes
- Don’t post or allow it to be posted on sites.
- Consider an email alias for work
Did you know as a MIIS Staff member you have access to FREE antivirus software for your home computer(s)?
To download the software, go to go.miis.edu/antivirus. There is no limit to the number of downloads, so if you have more than one computer at home, you can save guard them all!
The upcoming S.A.T. workshop on spam has been rescheduled and updated! The workshop will cover Malware and tips and tricks to avoid it.
Join us on Tuesday, February 24th from 2-3:30PM in McGowan 100.
R.S.V.P. at email@example.com
Just a reminder, Human Resources continues to make available staff development funds that support a variety of work-related activities to improve employee job skills. More detailed information can be found on the attached application http://www.miis.edu/media/view/30435/original/staff_development_fund.docx or on the HR web page: http://www.miis.edu/offices/humanresources/employee.
Funds allocated for staff development are limited and applications go through an approval process. Please do not make financial commitments until you receive an approval notification from HR. The maximum amount an employee may request is $1,250, though typical requests should be in the range of $500 to $750.
We hope you take advantage of this excellent opportunity for meeting staff development needs. If you have any questions about this benefit, please do not hesitate to contact me.
R. Michael Ulibarrí, SPHR
Human Resources Manager
Monterey Institute of International Studies
*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this communication in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.
About Skillsoft –
Skillsoft is a pioneer in the field of learning with a long history of innovation. Skillsoft provides cloud-based learning solutions for our customers worldwide, who range from global enterprises, government and education customers to mid-sized and small businesses.
Our courses, books and videos have been developed by industry-leading learning experts to ensure that they build talent and develop a more knowledgeable, productive and valuable workforce. Our customer support teams draw on a wealth of in-house experience, flexible delivery platforms and a comprehensive learning e-library to develop both packaged and custom learning programs tailored to our customers’ needs.
We currently serve over 6,000 customers and more than 19,000,000 learners worldwide and provide continuing, hands-on support to assist them in maximizing their ongoing success. To read more, click here to download our corporate brochure.
Here are some helpful links to some of the Middlebury sites that you might find useful.