My friend Emilio

Emilio releases a juvenile lobster (2008)

I’ve spent some time the last few weeks reviewing presentations and documents from a Trinational Fisheries Exchange between representatives from Cuba, Mexico and the U.S. My task is to synthesize the weeklong exchange into a cohesive report that can be shared with the participants, fisheries stakeholders and donors.

While scanning the material and a photo from the exchange, I recognized one of the Mexican fishermen—Emilio. I met Emilio in 2008 during a fishermen’s exchange I organized with Dominican fishermen to Mexico. Emilio fishes for lobster in Punta Allen and is a “celebrity” in the world of cooperative fisheries management. His enthusiasm for community management of the fishery makes him a sought-after participant on fisheries exchanges. Emilio spent several days with our group of Dominican fishers in 2008. He took us fly fishing (I even learned to properly cast the line!) and diving for lobster. Emilio and I have emailed periodically over the past few years. He’ll let me know the year’s total catch and how he’s doing. I’ve shared with him about my studies and career aspirations. I was excited to know that Emilio traveled to Cuba for the exchange. We exchanged emails last week and I let him know that I still have plans to return to visit him.

3 thoughts on “My friend Emilio