2017 Davis UWC Fellow Spotlight: Endi Mato

Endi Mato

Home Institution: Smith College

Major: Government and Economics

“The Davis Fellowship has been an extremely intellectually rewarding experience with me. Coming with a background in Political Science and Economics, I decided to do the fellowship because of my interest in multidisciplinary global policy, even though I knew very little about nuclear weapons. While being a part-time student and part-time researcher as a Davis Fellow, I had the opportunity to work with some of the biggest experts on nuclear issues and attend meetings with world-renowned authorities, such as Dr. Lassina Zerbo, the head of CTBTO. Furthermore, I got to explore further my own area of interest within nonproliferation and co-author a research project with a senior researcher, which was a great learning experience. I would definitely recommend students from different disciplines who have an interest in international affairs or who just want to experience working at a research institution, to consider this incredible opportunity.”

Additionally, Endi Mato coauthored an article with Daniel Salisbury, a Postdoctoral Fellow at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS), on the methods North Korea employs to skirt sanctions put on them by the international community. The report was published on July 20, 2017 in The Diplomat. The article can be viewed here.