Allies at MIIS

Allies at MIIS has had a good run since its inception in spring 2016. My goal when starting this initiative was to build a grounds-up collaborative to secure administrative commitment for  DEI issues on our campus.

Allies at MIIS has been very effective in that regard. There has been a lot of buzz on campus, many new initiatives, and a heightened sensitivity to the need for more diversity, equity, and inclusion. I am not claiming credit for all efforts made in this regard on our campus, but I do think Allies at MIIS has been instrumental in consolidating some campus-wide awareness. Most importantly, I do believe the work of Allies at MIIS laid the foundation for establishing the office of Chief Diversity Officer. 
As I mentioned in my previous issues, Allies at MIIS is now focused on bringing more faculty and staff into study group sessions. This semester instead of having a regular student study group, Allies at MIIS will have students working on developing an academic program in DEI – a project of the Center for Conflict Studies. More details of this program will be laid out in our next issue.