My Experience as ______ at MIIS

This section presents personal stories and experiences of some of our community members. In this issue, we highlight Salim Martell, Daniet Moges, Scott Webb, and Maha Baimyrzaeva.

Salim Martell
TLM
2018-2020

Which one of your identity/ identities would you add in the blank space?

Nomad

How did you experience your identity, both positively and negatively at MIIS?

Perhaps I’m cheating or being reductive of my identities by using a catch-all term like ‘nomad,’ but it’s an identity that I’ve come to find myself in naturally. It feels very fitting to summarize my experience at MIIS in that word. The facets of that identity line up well with being a polyglot. I’m fluent in four languages and can parse a few others, but the important characteristic there is that I’m a sponge for language and culture. I’m adaptive and despite it being a positive trait, it has its detriments.

MIIS has such a vibrant multicultural and multilingual environment that I felt at home joining this community. It’s naturally welcoming and very supportive of people who move around frequently and speak more than one language. In this sense, MIIS has been a great place to focus on my professional identity and develop a vision for my career as well as practical skills. Overall, the experience has been positive. With such a diverse community in terms of age, culture, language, profession, and beliefs, I’ve met plenty of people who have given me opportunities to learn. They’ve also given me opportunities to express myself and exercise not just my different cultural and linguistic identities, but their intersections as well as the intersections with nationality, sexuality, and my professional self.

The nomadic qualities of my identity are that I don’t feel like I belong anywhere, and I don’t particularly want to. Either as a cause or as a consequence, I’m very good at absorbing culture, adopting new norms, learning language and changing my point of view. It feels like I have my heart and my mind split between multiple countries, values, and ways of life. I feel the most at ease when I don’t have to choose one over another. The only negative experiences at MIIS that I’ve had, which are not unique to this environment, are where others have challenged me for not being just one thing. Most of the time this happens unintentionally, but people naturally expect everyone to belong to one group and consequently make comments that voice that expectation. For example, names tell a lot about a person and picking one that isn’t representative of your background can trigger a lot of interesting reactions.

Tell us about one memorable concept/ lesson that you learned in connection with your identity or diversity and inclusion broadly from a MIIS community member/s?

I have found myself at times disappointed with the MIIS environment in surprising ways. Having two or more languages or having lived in various countries does not necessarily make someone more understanding. It does not in itself induce critical thinking. I feel like I knew this already, but I was surprised to re-learn this lesson at MIIS. Perhaps it’s a consequence of people being so focused on their professional development that they set aside other parts of themselves. Perhaps some people focus too much on one subject and fail or forget to see how it connects to everything else. It’s an issue with personal identities, but also with professional focus. I find it critical to maintain a flexible identity so that one doesn’t fall too far into any one way of thinking.

How has your time at MIIS prepared you to deal with power and privilege in the world outside of the Institute?

I have learned a lot about the professional world at MIIS, particularly the corporate one. Part of that learning has involved knowing how to deal with people higher in the hierarchy which is something I will likely always struggle with. The most effective tool that I picked up at MIIS is how to use knowledge to empower myself and reduce the distance between myself and those who think they hold more power due to their age, position, or background.

What is one suggestion you have for the MIIS community?

The one debilitating flaw I’ve seen in all the events, talks, classes, and groups that I’ve been a part of at MIIS is that everyone focuses too much on their one subject. Regardless of what you study or what you choose to pursue professionally, knowing just one thing, even if you know it better than anyone else, makes you incredibly boring. More importantly, it makes you very ill-prepared to deal with any significant problem. My suggestion is to be curious about other subjects, other fields, especially when they’re completely different from your own. It’s the creative application of different sets of knowledge that creates ingenuity.

Daniet Moges
Alumna, MA
2011-2013

Student / Learner

Ethiopian

MIIS played a critical role in the evolution of my identities; being a student and the only Ethiopian on campus provided me the opportunity to dig deeper into my own identity. As the only Ethiopian, and one of a few African students, I was often anticipated to represent my birth country and continent. I took on the challenge to share my culture and history, which allowed me to reconnect with my identity, have renewed perspective, and learn more about my own history and culture, which provided me with the confidence to be an Ethiopian-American. As an avid learner, MIIS provided me with limitless opportunities to explore my intellectual curiosity. Classes such as Introduction to Conflict Resolution and gatherings with friends were all an opportunity to examine the world around us and what roles we wanted to play post-MIIS. The diversity at MIIS created the environment to share my views freely, both inside and outside of the classroom. I truly appreciated the freedom to express my thoughts and challenge my beliefs, but MIIS was also a self-created bubble. While MIIS was very diverse in social and cultural representation, it often lacked the socio-economic diversity required to have a comprehensive analysis of issues from varying perspectives. Thus, often MIIS created an intellectual bubble, clouding individuals true meaning of inclusion of diverse social, political, and economic worldviews in the professional world.

A valuable lesson I learned is that your language abilities should not define your intellectual capabilities.It is within the MIIS community that I have had the opportunity to work with some of the most multilingual and multicultural individuals that are making their marks in their respective careers. Language is powerful. It is an insight into a culture, but it also has political, social, and economic implications. While the ability to speak, read and write in a particular language is beneficial, it is within the comprehensive understanding of the language that we have an insight into cultural nuance and a better understanding of the institutions that govern the society.

My experience at MIIS provided me with the skills and tools to articulate injustice and structural violence. MIIS was a place where I was able to explore all facets of my identities. It helped me pinpoint my biases and privileges. It was at MIIS that I was forced to examine how all my identities are intertwined and how they inform my experiences. One parting question raised by Dr. Iyer continues to guide my professional and personal life: “We all have a goal and objectives in this field, we are not just nice people, so what is your intent?” This question continues to guide my work in international development and personal relationships. As a lifelong learner, Ethiopian, and American, it has helped me to pause and actively listen to stakeholders and beneficiaries, rather than to continue to implement projects that are designed based on a top to bottom perspective.  

I will forever be grateful for crossing paths with so many people with vast backgrounds and experiences, including lifelong friends I made. So, for all current MIIS students, I would say be fully present and take advantage of all the opportunities that are presented to you, but you must be willing to work hard and knock at every door. It is vital you connect all the theories you learn to critically examine the world around you. Constantly reflect on how your identities impact those around you. Build your resilience, because the world outside MIIS might not always provide you with the platform to explore your identities. Make mistakes and continue to learn. As for the institution, while I cherished the level of cultural diversity at MIIS, the lack of representation from lower socio-economic individuals, both here in the US and abroad, was very apparent. Diversity and inclusion should not be limited to the number of countries represented; it should encompass all facets of society, especially as we aim to be pioneers of solutions using both top-bottom and bottom-top approaches.

Scott Webb
Career and Academic Advisor
Staff 2015-present, student 2006-2007 MPA

Generation X person

I am firmly right in the middle of Generation X, born between about 1965-1980, the generation sandwiched between Baby Boomers and Millennials. We’re a small generation – in fact the year I was born, 1973 (I’ll be 47 in June) was among the lowest birthrates of the post-war period. There are fewer people my age. I grew up with small classes and with a LOT of baby boomers running the world. As a MIIS student in 2006-07, I was 33, about 5-7 years older than most of my cohort. When I entered the workforce after my MPA at MIIS, I was 34. At that point, there was still a small window of opportunity where I could be the younger mentor to the older boomer manager – helping them learn technology and representing the younger, entry level staff. Then within a few years, suddenly this HUGE generation of Millennials (born between about 1980-1996) started to come into the workforce and get all the attention from the Boomers that were still managing. I was forced to figure out where my leverage was, as I wasn’t experienced enough to be suddenly in charge, but the younger generation hungering for opportunity was coming in hot, looking for ways to make their mark. While I’m the oldest in my family, generationally, I’m a middle child. My role is typically as the mediator, the one trying to make everyone happy, translating the Boomer to the Millennial and vice versa. There have been ups and downs with this but it’s a role I feel I’ve embraced. 

Every generation will find something about the new younger generation that makes them angry. For GenX, we were ‘slackers’ and ‘snarky’, we didn’t care or were generally cynical. Hopefully there are enough GenX’ers out there making a positive contribution to the world that we’ve dispelled that notion. We’re all in middle age now, raising families and trying to make ends meet. At MIIS, when I took this Career & Academic Advisor role, I was afraid I’d be embittered by students representing the worst of the Millennial generation – entitled, not willing to pay their dues, arrogant, everyone gets a trophy, etc… But to be honest, since I’ve been here it’s been the opposite.

The MIIS students I’ve had the privilege of working with have for the most part been hard-working, pragmatic, determined, creative, and generous. When I was graduating from college, the Cold War was just ending and the first tech boom was happening – most of my generation started their careers in a tech bubble with high salary bases, many people could purchase a house. Now school costs exponentially more and the job market is highly competitive. There are pressures that Millennials face – about student loan debt, the environment, politics, terrorism – that I didn’t have to face as a twenty-something. I try hard to keep all that in mind as I work with students of the Millennial generation (which is to say most students at MIIS).  

Working with faculty who had to already adapt to interacting with a younger generation – I learned about finding the positive and listening more.

I came to MIIS after having worked in international development and humanitarian assistance for 7 years, so I’ve been able to witness and experience life in some of the poorest and most vulnerable communities in the world. The courses we offer at MIIS, across the spectrum of development issues, are excellent and prepare students well for international careers. Students need to take a course from William Arrocha to learn about what development means. They need to take a course from Pushpa Iyer to understand the varied power dynamics at play as vested interests battle over the control of resources and political influence. They need to take an economics course to understand how the global system works, how money changes hands and how powerful people use the system to their advantage. And our students can take this knowledge and use it to improve the human condition.  

All I really want is a world where everyone has a chance to live a healthy, peaceful life with dignity and good work, without having to worry about how their lifestyle, religion, race, or sexual preference is perceived, judged, or otherwise used to hinder their life journey. Let’s all work together in kindness and respect, and have some fun along the way. Oh, and please go to the beach more often!

Maha Baimyrzaeva
Associate Professor, Development Policy and Practice

I am a mother. This most recent and the most prevailing identity has enriched and reshaped my other ways of seeing myself and relating to the world in unexpected ways. 

Before I had my first child, few things could stop me from doing what I wanted and needed. I used to work hard, exercise, hang out with friends, and life was simple and good. And I thought I had a demanding job! I could take any challenge that life threw at me by the horns through sheer willpower, hard work, and focus, I thought. Turns out I took for granted and was blind to everything that made it possible. Even during my pregnancy friends kept telling me how hard it was going to be after the baby. I foolishly brushed off that advice thinking I could pull it off, and did not take maternity leave the semester when I had the baby.

Then things went south… I became chronically deprived of sleep and rest, with two kids two years apart. I had to step up my effort to run a larger household and do endless chores. And I had a full-time job, a long commute, and a foggy and stressed brain. This identity change brought a silver lining with it. 

When the fog started clearing, I started seeing patterns that I did not register before when things were easy. For example, I never fully grasped how many of our students struggle to keep up with school and work, some even with multiple jobs; come to classes tired or sleep deprived; and how much chronic stress they experience due to the student loans. I started noticing and reading people’s emotions better now having been trained by my kids who could not talk. Suddenly I had this outpouring of empathy for everyone, especially for my students, and I could connect with them more deeply now. I always admired our students for who they are and what they stand for, and now more than ever I could see them in a fuller light as individuals with their struggles and aspirations, both big and small and it made me respect them even more. 

Around the same time, I started learning more about reasoning, learning, and behavior change from behavioral and cognitive sciences. They helped me recognize pervasive cognitive limitations and biases in myself and others. It was also easier to see them now. Although nearly everyone exhibits them, kids don’t try to hide them while grown-ups are great at rationalizing those even to ourselves. Here are a few examples:  Kids get really irritated when hungry, so do grown ups, but we don’t usually like to admit that. Our feelings weigh in our decisions and yet it is considered unprofessional to bring them up. We say facts speak for themselves, and yet much of the information we perceive is filtered via our pre-existing frames and assumptions. Even unrelated events that happened before color and shape what and how we perceive things with or without our conscious awareness. 

Related, and most importantly, the kids taught me about authenticity – about being honest with myself and others. I realised that I was using my already strained mental bandwidth to uphold a self imposed narrow professional identity, naively thinking professors should have all the answers. I used to drive myself (and others too) crazy trying to do that. Continuing this facade felt no longer right. Not only did I not know everything, but even if I knew, telling students what I knew was not the most effective way to teach. This realisation helped me to discover new ways of facilitating student learning. My updated professional identity as a facilitator of learning, not giver of knowledge, has been much more satisfying and effective. In sum, I learned that trying to fit someone else’s identity eats up our mental bandwidth.  In contrast, discovering, embracing, and living our authentic identities makes life more meaningful. 

For me the question is upside down. I think my little world outside MIIS – i.e. my kids and family – have prepared me for MIIS better than my PhD did for the reasons mentioned above.

I cannot really make a suggestion for my wonderful MIIS community. I can only share the reminders to myself on this subject: Embrace people as they are. Inquire. Show empathy.  Listen genuinely. Recognize their strengths. Elevate.