It’s Plastic Free July!

Hi lovely readers! Over the past few weeks, I’ve begun my CBE Fellows internship with Plastic Tides, a non-profit organization focused on educating the global community about the plastic pollution crisis, and empowering youth leaders to take action in their communities. This summer, I am designing a project to support the Plastic Tides Global Youth Mentor Program by connecting our Youth Leaders with environmental professionals and specialists through short videos. Every project needs a good proposal, so I’ve been working on clarifying the project concept into an actionable proposal, flushing out various details and determining the best methods for the videos to reach our target audiences. In addition, I am working with the Plastic Tides social media team to create posts and videos for Instagram and TikTok. Feel free to check us out on all of our pages below!

All in all, things are going well! The Plastic Tides team is an excellent group of people, and I am so excited to continue working with them throughout this summer. As you might guess from the title of this post, Plastic Tides is encouraging everyone to participate in Plastic Free July! I’m still at the beginning of my plastic-free journey, so my goal this July is to avoid purchasing items wrapped or encased in plastic.

I’m in Monterey, CA for the majority of both internships, but I was able to visit my family on the East Coast earlier this summer- we went to the Philadelphia Franklin Institute and I found this fun blurb on climate change and the ocean in the “Changing Earth” exhibit

In addition to working with Plastic Tides, I am thrilled to share that I will also be working with The Ocean Foundation on their Deep Seabed Mining Moratorium team. This internship is still in its early stages, but I am more than excited to begin working in the intersection of science communication and deep seabed mining from a policy and law perspective. Stay tuned for more details in the next post about both internships!