My name is Nasema Zeerak and I am a second year International Policy and Development student at MIIS. I became interested in conflict resolution after taking my first conflict resolution course at MIIS in 2016. It was both theory and skills based course where we explored the root causes, dynamics and resolution of conflict by analyzing complex conflict situations.

While I learned a great deal in this course, I understand that conflict resolution and ultimately peace building is a complex and multifaceted task that requires resources and long term commitment.

One of the most important things that I learned and I am looking forward to exploring more in SPP is the relation between peacebuilding and development. The cost of war/conflict is missed developmental opportunities. And post conflict societies often face challenges in making a transition from conflict weakened socioeconomic development to a self-sufficient economy. I am excited to learn about the characteristic of post conflict societies and the challenges it faces in making the transition to sustainable development. In preparation for SPP, I came across this paragraph in one of our readings;   

I find this very interesting and as an aspiring development practitioner, I am hoping I can explore and examine peacebuilding techniques in post conflict societies where there is continued animosity and hostility between groups. Development efforts will fail to succeed in the presence of such conflicts among groups in the society. I am also excited to explore what has been done and what is the progress in the field given that peacebuilding is a relatively new discipline. I am positive that I will learn and grow with and from the great cohort of practitioners and those experienced in the field.