Mediation plays a crucial role in peace building around the globe, because unlike negotiations, the process allows an acceptable third party to intervene the conflict and help resolve it with neutrality. Prabha Sankaranarayan from Mediation without Borders told us that, drawing from her previous professional experience in Kenya, local mediation efforts could make a big difference for peace. And the best mediation is to make both parties to believe that the mediator is on their sides while taking on no sides.

On the other hand, Prabha then explained to us that the crucial first step to become a good mediator is to learn how to listen to other’s story. We all have to learn how to listen to understand, but not listen to respond. We did the group exercise of storytelling (without interrupting one and other), while observing the storyteller’s feelings, body language, value/perception, emotions, and facts. I realized that we all see things differently even from the same story. More importantly, listener may interpret the stories through emotions instead of the factual information.

I am curious that how we can take mediation in the peace building process into to another level. As far as I know, the concept of mediation to many developing countries is completely new. And some countries are reluctant to receive the help from outsiders; the question that we have to think about is: how we can find a trustworthy mediator in the peace-building process?