The panel at the city office after the CASP meeting was really interesting. All members of the panel seemed to have a very strong and genuine desire to help those repressed by the structural shortcomings of society especially in the criminal justice system, a group of the population that are incredibly ignored and forgotten about, despite the fact that these people make up a part of our society.

The panel consisted of the Mayor of the city, the head of CASP and the founder of an NGO that helped children who had witnessed domestic violence. It was really remarkable to note the rapport that they already seemed to have within themselves despite each of them working in different sectors albeit in the same field. Such collaboration in the area of public service and social work has always been crucial for not only the efficiency of the work but also its sustainability. In my country, there is an extensive network of NGOs however their relationship with political leaders have always remained contentious. When I interned in Kathmandu this summer, there was always an implicit understanding that the government, rather than being a source of support, is always an impediment and should be engaged as little as possible.

Hence, seeing how the government, at least at the local level, was going out of the way to support not only its own programs but also independent ones like CASP was a refreshing change for me. It made me reflect on the Nepalese government where corruption is so high that let alone fund independent ventures, the government barely allocates resources to its own programs on even the most basic public services.

It is very evident, that till the political institutions that are in place to take care of people as a whole do not realize their job and the role of civil society in it, we will remain in a society that neglects the needs of many, and is unable to do anything tangible even if the neglect is not purposeful.