The session with Prof. Jeff Langholz was energizing and encouraging. I learned that it is not the just identity that people are fighting for. Natural resources are increasingly becoming the sources of conflict around the world. The rate at which the world is urbanizing adding stress on the aquifers, fresh water sources. To keep the population alive in the urban centers, the governments are diverting the water sources towards the urban centers creating haves and have nots. This process is becoming less and less sustainable as the water delivery systems are centralized and monopolized with little room for competition and innovation.

Prof. Jeff talked about the innovation he is leading in the decentralization of water delivery to households in the cities at a cheaper price by reducing the impacts on the environment. The company that he is running with his student is called WaterCity Inc who borrows the idea from SolarCity (a solar company). The innovation is an incredible one. Water is considered as a public good and one only expects the government to take care of such issue as the citizens are paying taxes to the government. However, the Jeff and his students stepped in as a private sector to solve the water shortage issue in the rapidly growing urban centers.

His innovation made me think that when we fail to imagine, we are left with no options. Hence, we continue to experience violence that is structural and cultural. As peace-builders, one should encourage ourselves to engage with various parties with multiple perspectives. It will increase the possibility of imagining further. I am appreciating this program more as it brought diverse speakers from various backgrounds and expertise. It has certainly broadened my capacity to imagine further and not make conclusions right away or get frustrated easily. I am also learning that as peace-builders we cannot take sides. We must understand that till we find the truth, we have to keep the communication open with both parties. The moment we take sides, it will jeopardize the relationship with the second party and possibly the communication channel will end. As peace-builders, we need to keep the engagement and communication alive.