CIF Alumna Spotlight: Galina Salnikova

Galina presenting on behalf of the CIF team at the Youth Forum in Nagasaki

Galina Salnikova

Gymnasium 164, Zelenogorsk, Russia

My name is Galina Salnikova, I am a third-year undergraduate student majoring in International Security at Far Eastern Federal University, Russia. I am interested in nuclear disarmament advocacy, public diplomacy, and the Model United Nations movement. I have accumulated a profound knowledge of nuclear weapons and their impact on international security thanks to nuclear disarmament and nonproliferation projects I have been involved with for the past several years. I am advancing in the field faster than I’ve imagined. The two main projects which have made me who I am are the CNS Critical Issues Forum 2016 and Hiroshima-ICAN (International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons) Academy on Nuclear Weapons and International Security 2019.

My journey in the world of nuclear disarmament couldn’t have started without the first step – my participation in the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies Critical Issues Forum 2016 (CIF 2016). I was supposed to make two projects. The first one, the Mini Project, contained a technological aspect from the chain reaction to the types of nuclear bombs, as well as the history of the international non-proliferation regime. The second project was the presentation for the Forum, by which I elaborated on the ways to achieve nuclear disarmament (my main focus was on using mass media to increase public awareness).

Galina and other Russian high school students at the 2016 CIF spring conference.

CIF 2016 has changed my perception of the world. Firstly, it was my first trip to an English-speaking country, thus I dramatically improved my English by expanding my professional vocabulary and mastering my communication skills. Secondly, I met many outstanding people, with whom I still keep in touch. Finally, thanks to the project, I decided that I want to tie my life with the field of international relations, and now I enjoy what I am doing.

The main contribution of the Forum to my career was the future opportunities it is still providing me with. The Forum is my sartorial statement, which has helped me to receive recognition and get scholarships for several projects. As a result of the Forum, I became a Youth Communicator for a World Without Nuclear Weapons, and I had a chance to represent the CIF to the Forum of Youth Communicators for a World Without Nuclear Weapons and the 26th United Nations Conference on Disarmament Issues in Nagasaki, Japan. Moreover, thanks to my experience, I was able to join the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organizations (CTBTO) Youth Group (CYG).

Another milestone of my growth in the field of nuclear disarmament was my participation in the first Hiroshima-ICAN Academy on Nuclear Weapons and International Security. The Academy invited 14 students and young specialists (7 from NWS and 7 from NNWS) interested in nuclear disarmament advocacy. Also, the Academy provided two participants with a travel scholarship, which I was a recipient of as well.

Galina at the 2019 ICAN-Hiroshima Academy

From first glance, the Academy was similar to a summer school about nuclear weapons, but it was much more comprehensive. First of all, the diversity of the participants were outstanding: we had people working for the UN or NGOs such as the Nuclear Threat Initiative, university students, who are shining brighter than their peers, and even a high-schooler. Our program included four main aspects: (1) humanitarian impact of the NW, (2) political, legal, technical aspects of NW, (3) civil society in action, (4) diplomacy and the UN. We visited Hiroshima’s memorial places, met with a hibakusha, learned about the impact of radiation on human bodies, which made up a picture of how devastating every nuclear explosion is. We listened to lectures by nuclear non-proliferation scholars, such as Mr. Nobumasa Akiyama, Mr. Tatsuro Suzuki, Mr. Kjølv Egeland, Mrs. Rebecca Davis Gibbons, and others (I am sure that at least one name from the list sounds familiar). The experts put a light on the effectiveness of the current non-proliferation regime and regional security issues as well as outlined prospects for research, which I am using right now in my research projects. Apart from the purely educational content, we were honored to take part in the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Ceremony and meet with the UN Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for Disarmament Affairs Ms. Izumi Nakamitsu as well as the representatives of the foreign ministries of Russia, Kazakhstan, Germany, France, Mexico, South Africa, the Philippines, and Japan. They explained to us the official positions of governments on the prospects of complete nuclear disarmament, ban of nuclear testing, etc. Apart from this, we visited lots of NGOs operating in Hiroshima, such as Peace Boat, World Friendship Center, ANT, Mayors for Peace, etc.,  and had comprehensive conversations with ICAN representatives and shared our own experience in campaigning, which encouraged me to be more proactive, share my knowledge with others, and inspire others.

It is important to mention that the Academy made one of my small dreams to see the real work of a UN agency come true. We visited the United Nations Institute for Training in Research (UNITAR) and learned a lot about their activities. Did you know that they are training the real politicians to conduct an effective domestic policy? Also, one of my most vivid memories of the Academy is the Peace Boat – a huge cruise liner – and the concert of the piano, which has survived the bombing of Hiroshima.

The Hiroshima-ICAN Academy taught me one important thing – whose, who believe in what they are doing, overcome any obstacles. Despite the general reluctance to get rid of nuclear weapons expressed by nuclear-armed states, there are many different ways, by which civil society can influence the status quo. Now, I am continuing my journey in the world of nuclear disarmament. Thanks to my participation in the CIF-2016, Hiroshima-ICAN Academy and other nuclear-related projects, I’ve started to work closely with the CYG, and I hope to advance in this field and bring something to the society.

To sum up, this story is about a girl from a small Russian town becoming a global citizen. Everything is possible, no matter who you are or where you live. I want to encourage you to take the first step fearlessly and pursue what you are passionate about.