Cynthia Yeh's CBE summer 2012 internship experience

Sea-Tea Party

SUBJECT: SEAWEED

It’s defined as algae and also kelp. Seaweed is everywhere in the ocean, you could say it’s in freshwater too…but those are more pond-weed.

Moist seaweed clings to rocks. It’s good for you, no? (my purposely badly translated ad)

It’s wet, needs sunlight to photosynthesize into energy to grow, but they do not have roots like plants. Plants on land have roots to drink water, but seaweed are surrounded by water, so their “roots” are called “holdfasts” which help them hold tightly to rocks. Seaweed need much nutrients to survive, and thus they also can provide much nutrients.

Nutrient which can be consumed through many means, but have any of you tried Seaweed teas?

It’s gone mainstream if it’s a Yogi tea!

Dried seaweed tea blades.

STORY:

Quick recap before this entry was deleted: So, every week I attend a “tea-party.” Except, the hipster culture would rather have us label it as “tea-tasting”. So, each week at our “tea-tasting” we try a different variety of teas according to a theme. So far we’ve tried flower teas, black teas, chai teas, and in my quest to find the next theme I’ve discovered that there exists “seaweed teas”. So far, I haven’t been Able to find any, but I’ll be sure to follow-up with a true story when we do. Instead, I’ll tell you about our tea connoisseurship.

We’re about 5 people, most of the people in the group are my peers and we talk about everything except work. We once did a session on dealing with stress and frustrations. I found it the session temporarily effective. =) I usually treat my stress with naps after a shower or at the bottom of an ice cream pint-and I find them highly effective. I was invited the 2nd week of my internship and it has been an on going event. We have fun, but NOT THIS MUCH FUN!

REFLECTION:

This event is better than having lunch with co-workers or happy hours! We’re not running around searching for food or talking about work – which many people find lunch breaks to be: venting or troubleshooting about work. Happy hours consist of small talk and networking. Now, tea time is a good time because it’s not small talk, it’s not work talk, it’s relaxing say whatever else talk (but we’re still networking). Why isn’t this part of normal American workdays?

The “Seaweed tea experience” story  in future post. 

Posted by on July 24th, 2012 at 6:48 am | Comments & Trackbacks (0)