Computer-Assisted Translation

This page is a record of projects and lessons learned from two courses I took at MIIS: Introduction to Computer-Assisted Translation and Advanced Computer-Assisted Translation. These two courses introduced me to CAT tools from the perspective of a translator and from a localization manager, and they also gave me a thorough introduction to Machine Translation.

During my time at MIIS, I not only built and maintained translation memories for my assignments, I also built and managed terminology bases that improved the efficiency and consistency of my translations. Additionally, I learned how to use packages to coordinate group projects efficiently. Finally, I learned how to train a customized machine translation engine for translating financial statements from Japanese to English.

Here is an overview of the skills I gained from these two courses:

CAT tools:

• SDL Trados Studio 2015
  • SDL Multiterm 2015
  • memoQ 2015
  • Wordfast
  • MS Translator Hub
  • Okapi Checkmate
  • Okapi Ratel
  • Okapi Olifant

Topics covered:

• Translation Memory creation and management
  • Project creation and management
  • Reporting and Analytics
  • Pseudo-translation
  • Alignment
  • Termbase creation and management
  • Review and Quality Assurance
  • Project packages
  • Post-Editing
  • Filter configuration
  • Advanced matching and frequents
  • Rules-Based, Statistical, and Hybrid Machine Translation
  • BLEU Scores
  • Training a Statistical Machine Translation engine
  • The future of translation technology
  • Regular expressions

Here are some projects I completed:

• Coordinating the subtitling of the Japanese TV show “Fireman” across a group of five using SDL Trados Studio 2015. Details of this fun project can be seen here.
  • Exporting a website from WordPress, creating and customizing a Trados Project Template to filter and pseudo-translate the content, and then importing it to test and view the pseudo-translation. The pseudo-translated WordPress site can be seen here.
  • Training a customized statistical machine translation engine to translate financial statements from Japanese to English. Details of this engaging and challenging project can be seen here.

Here are some blog posts I’ve written about Computer Assisted Translation and Machine Translation: