- Teachers will be comfortable using the XO laptop both on their own and for instructional purposes.
- Teachers will feel confident in their abilities to facilitate learning through the XO laptops.
- Teachers will be familiar with concepts “Building on Background,” “Learning Phases,” and “Scaffolding,” “Integrating Modalities,” and “Graphic Organizers”
- Teachers will have a working knowledge these concepts and be able to implement them in their classroom lessons
- How can the XO be used to enhance students’ learning?
- Why is technology literacy an important skill for both students and teachers?
- How can teaching strategies enhance your current styles, views, and ideologies of teaching?
- What is a teaching strategy? How can they be effectively implemented in the classroom?
- How can students act as knowledge-contributors in the classroom?
- Technology literacy is an important life skill for student success due to globalization.
- Students are knowledge-contributors. Everyone has a voice. (This is our critical pedagogy aspect, because it might challenge what they already hold as a view, which is teacher-fronted pedagogy.)
- By seeing myself as a learner and incorporating new pedagogical techniques, I will become a more effective teacher.
Syllabus and Lesson Plans
*Key: TT = Teacher Trainer HT = Haitian Teacher
|Introduction to the XO Laptop
|HTs learn the basics of the XO laptop and create and play a game of Memory using the Memorize App
|HTs will master the Speak App and practice using the language of possibility. They will brainstorm ways to use this App in their classrooms.
|HTs will master the Chat App and practice using the language of suggestion and planning. They will brainstorm ways to use this App in their classrooms.
|Teaching Strategies (PART ONE)
|This lesson covers the concepts of building background (schema theory), scaffolding, learning phases, and the use of graphic organizers along with pertinent English instruction to help teachers enhance their classroom instruction.
|Teaching Strategies (PART TWO)
|HTs will master the Write App and practice using imperatives and the language of command. They will brainstorm ways to use this App in their classrooms.
|HTs will master the Turtle App and practice new technological vocabulary useful for CALL instruction. They will brainstorm ways to use this App in their classrooms.
|HTs will master the Record App and practice using adverbs to explain time, manner, place and reason. They will brainstorm ways to use this App in their classrooms.
|Final Discussion and assigning of Performative Assessment
|HTs and TTs will discuss the major takeaways of the course and review the criterion for the performative assessment which will occur at some point during the following week.
|TTs observe HTs using the XO laptops and observe teachers based on this rubric
|Feedback on Performative Assessment
|Observing TT gives the HT constructive feedback on the XO lesson in their classroom