Alexis Martine Gabriel

Alexis Gabriel is a second semester MBA student who wishes to use her interest in business, conservation and resource protection to enter the emerging field of green supply chain for major retail companies. She is currently a member of NetImpact, the MBA association and the president of the Japan Forum. She has worked in both international and domestic education and loves to cook, eat, travel, read, write and listen to music.

One Response to Alexis Martine Gabriel

1. Alexis Gabriel says:

Japan Relief Fund

It was 6 am, Pacific Time when I got the call. Both of my sisters were calling from Washington DC to see whether I was okay, as they heard that the tsunami that hit Japan may potentially hit California as well. In a study cocoon for the last day or so, it was the first time I heard what many people around the world had already learned: that the biggest disaster to hit Japan since World War II had just occurred.

I spent the next two hours trying to reach friends and family in Japan. Having worked in Japan as an JET instructor, I knew many people living in different regions in Japan. Additionally, my Aunt is originally from Japan and most of her family lives in the Northern region.

Once I reached campus, the day moved by quickly with people exchanging news about their families and friends on campus. Some students were frightened because they could not reach their family members, some were horrified by the powerful ocean, and a feeling of helplessness as we all watched the water sweep people away.

The Text

Later that night, I received an email that day from my friend Emily asking “Can we do something?” The same thought had been circulating through my head; however I didn’t know where to start. I started with reaching out to Ashley Arrocha, the director of Student Services at Monterey Institute of International Studies, and asking if any of the proceeds could be donated to the Japan Relief Effort; student council responded promptly with an overwhelming agreement to donate all Follies funds to the Japan Relief Fund.

MIIS’s Reaction

Acts of generosity like this would be echoed again and again, as MIIS students, faculty and staff united to help with a fund-raising efforts that has so far accumulated over $8000. Faculty and students from all programs have volunteered to donate their time, their money, and their skills so that we could organize a fund-raising drive that has run roughly from 11 am to 6 pm for two straight weeks. A great part of the success of these efforts is in thanks to Prof. Akaha, the faculty point person for organizing all Japan Relief Fund related events. He has recently organized a partnership with the Minor Foundation that will match all our proceeds dollar for dollar, starting from those collected for the Follies.

Community Reaction

Recently we have taken fund-raising off-campus to the local Farmer’s Market, and once again I was amazed by the reception from the Monterey community. I always knew that this community was a friendly one; however, it was great to see people gather together for the same good cause. And in this situation no act of kindness big or small is to be overlooked.

For more information on how you can give, please go to:

1) Look for the Monterey Institute Logo on the page to make an online donation to the MIIS Community Japan Relief Effort securely through Paypal: http://www.minerfoundation.org

2) Watch a video of MIIS students, staff, and faculty sending well wishes to friends in Japan:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95RqHkw03Uk