This semester in Localization Project Management, our group localized the website of Metropolitan Museum of Art. In this project, we all acted as project managers and localized the website into 6 different languages. During the process, we also set up our LPM office. I learned a lot.

Here’s what we did throughout the entire project.

Wiki Page

This was essentially where we built our own website as an LSP. This was where we would store our company resources including staff, client and administrative information.

For staff information, we each designed a personal page where we would introduce ourselves to clients and tell them our qualifications and experience.

For client information, whenever there was a new client, we would document them in our client list and develop a new page where we would log the client’s basic information and any projects related to this client. In each project, there was another page where we would fill out the project specification form, list the talents available, and develop the quote and the translation package.

For administrative information, we would put the templates we developed for all projects there including client information, project specification, quote, talent screening, work order, purchase order, style guide, and email template.

Trello Board

This was where we listed all the things to be carried out in each stage of the project. The project was divided into 3 stages: pre-production, production, and post-production.

Under pre-production, there were submission, specification, quoting, and preparation 4 different processes. Submission was where we would ready a project submitted by the client for the development of project specification. Specification was where would ensure that we had worked out all the details (specifications) with the client and finalized the project parameters. Quoting was where we would list the specific items to be carried out throughout the project. Preparation was where we would lay out the deliverables to be included in the translation package.

The production stage consisted of 5 different processes: translation, editing, proofreading, final verification, and delivery. This was the most robust and time-consuming stage where we would actually produce deliverables for the client. The translation, editing, and proofreading checklists were quality control for translators, editors, and proofreaders where they could check and see if they had met the specific requirements. The final verification checklist was where we would check the final language service product prior to delivery to the client. The delivery checklist was where we would ensure that the client receives the language service deliverables according to the methods established in the specification form.

Under post-production, there was only one checklist where we would list the tasks to be carried out before project close, including making updates to reference materials and invoicing.

One Drive

This was where we stored all our documents and files related to this project. Each folder contained the specific deliverables from each stage. We followed a consistent naming convention for all our files so that they would never be mixed up. This way, we could easily locate any files we want through this network. For example, in the “Administrative” folder, there were our Top Tracker data and report as well as our “Client Facing Quote”. In the “From Client” folder, there was the source content we received from our client. In the “Preparation” folder, there was the content we prepared for translation…

Top Tracker

Within the scope of the entire project, we tracked our time at each stage using Top Tracker. It told us how much time we invested in each stage and helped us determine whether we were over or under budget.