Because we want to ensure that it’s always easy to find the information you’re looking for in Zócalo, we’ve established a set of protocols for entering information. This will be updated as new protocols are developed. For more information on how to post employer and job information in Zócalo, see this post. This post was written for staff and graduate assistants with Manager access to the Zócalo system.
- The organization name should always be written out in full first, exactly as THEY refer to themselves (i.e. U.S. Department of State, not US State Department);
- Acronyms should be listed in parentheses after the organization name, with no commas between the name and the acronym (i.e. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA));
- If the organization uses “The” at the beginning of its name, leave it off. Do not add it to the end of the name (i.e. World Bank, The);
- Also, do not put the division, chapter or location name in the Employer field (i.e. United Nations Association – Monterey Chapter). This information goes in the Division field.
- Please do not use the Parent Organization field without touching base with one of the advisors in the Center for Advising and Career Services first. This field should only be used when the parent organization is quite large and the organizations beneath it are highly recognizable unto themselves (i.e. U.S. Department of Homeland Security, under which the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and US Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) organizations are structured). In all other cases, use the Division field for the department, chapter or program;
- Enter the recruiter’s employer as the employer. If the recruiter does not have an organization, input “Independent Recruiter;”
- Enter the name of the organization the recruiter is recruiting on behalf of at the beginning of the position title. Example: “Yahoo: Language Specialist, Spanish;”
- Note that “Full Name” and “Email” are required fields:
- If no contact person exists, enter “Employer;”
- When you cannot find an email address at all (please double check this on the organization website!), use “noinfo@[org website address]” (i.e. email@example.com) That way, the system will take the email address, and I can run a report in advance of a mailing to catch these before sending email to them;
- Phone numbers should be formatted as follows: (XXX) XXX-XXXX for US numbers and a + sign, then the number with spaces wherever included in the original for international numbers (i.e. +X XX XXX XXXX); Extensions should be listed as “Ext. XXX”;
- If an organization’s website appears to be down for technical reasons, type, “Website not currently available” in the Overview section. If the website does not seem to exist, check in with the most relevant advisor in the Center for Advising and Career Services- this may not be a real organization!