This post was written for staff and graduate assistants with Manager access to the Zócalo system. It provides step-by-step instructions on successfully setting alumni up with Zócalo account access. In the Spring of 2011, we made changes to how the alumni access the system. Instead of using their student ids as the username, we use the email address we have on file for them. They can now reset their own passwords with this email address by clicking on the “Forgot Password” link.
Here are the steps to take if you receive an inquiry from an alumnus about accessing their account:
- Look up the alumnus’ name in the Student module. Their email address should be in the Student ID field AND the Email field;
- If this is the case, close out of their record and go back to the Student List screen. (If this alumnus’ record has never been opened, you may be asked to fill in the alumnus’ major and citizenship. Unless you know otherwise, just choose “US Citizen” (they can change this if needed). You’ll find the alumnus’ degree program listed on the Profile tab; choose the closest approximation to this degree name on the “Major” drop down menu on the Main tab);
- Send them the “Alumni Welcome Message,” which will contain both their username (email address) and an auto-generated password. Check the box to the left of their name and select Mail-Alumni-Alumni Welcome Message from the Batch Options drop-down menu. When the message preview screen appears, click on “Continue” at the bottom of the screen. On the next screen, click on “Send Messages.” Don’t forget to un-check the box next to the alumnus’ name on the Student List screen;
- Also send a brief reply to the alumnus’ original email, letting them know that a system-generated email with their account access information should be on it’s way. It’s the personal touch that matters!
- If the email address listed in the alumnus’ record is different than the email address used by the alumnus in their correspondence with you, email them to ask which they would prefer we use. If they ask us to change the email address we have in the system, be sure to also send this info to the alumni office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you’ve confirmed the email address, return to Step #2
- If there is no email address listed in the alumnus’ record, move the Student ID to the Alumni ID field and add the email address to the Student ID and Email fields. Also send the email address to alumni at miis.edu. Return to Step #2.