Recovering a File Deleted From a Server
Have you ever deleted or over-written a file stored on a file server and wished you hadn’t? Did you know that you can get deleted or previous versions of files back without calling the Helpdesk to request a file recovery?
- Click Computer.
- Navigate to the folder above the one that contained the deleted file.
For instance, if the path to the file you want to recover was miisfiles\Departments\Information Technology\Helpdesk\filename you would open the miisfiles\Departments\Information Technology\ folder so you could see the Helpdesk folder.
- Right-click on the folder in which the file resided before deletion. In the example above, you would right-click on Helpdesk.
- From the pop-up menu, select Properties. The Properties dialog box will open.
- Click the Previous Versions tab. The Properties dialog box will look like the one below. It points to snapshots of the folder contents taken six times a day for the previous 12 days.
- You can recover a previous version of one or more files — or an entire folder — in the following way:
- Select the Folder version desired, then click Open. The folder contents appear. Double-click the file you want to recover and then use the File/Save As command to save it to a different location or filename.