Many students, faculty and staff rely on the Outlook (Exchange) calendar to plan and schedule meetings. This works only if the people attending the meeting keep their calendar up to date.
To assist with scheduling events, a best practice is to enter “Busy” events, when you don’t want meetings scheduled. For example, if I’m taking Friday off, I would create a “Busy” event from 8am to 5pm on Friday.
To schedule a meeting with someone
- Visit the Office 365 website and login using SSO.
- Click the Applications icon (the 3×3 grid in the upper left) and choose Calendar (may be hidden so choose “All apps.”
- In the Calendar app, choose “New event” in the bar, or just click on the time you want and it will open the new event dialog.
- The “Add a title” field is the brief summary and will appear as the email subject line.
- You should put any people you want to invite in “Invite required attendees,” just start typing their name!
- You can invite multiple people.
- If there’s a conflict, a future time may be suggested.
- If you don’t see any available times that work for you, you can choose “More options” at the bottom, then choose “Scheduling Assistant” in the menu, or move on to the next section to learn how to view the person’s calendar.
- Choose a start and end time, and try to keep meetings brief and efficient!
- You should probably not schedule an event before 8am and after 5pm without checking with the person before…
- You can optionally enter a location, typically an office for staff or faculty).
- Enter any meeting notes below, such as the agenda. The meeting note will appear in the email body along with the details.
- Click “Save” or “Send” (only if you added attendees).
To see another person’s schedule
- In Calendar, on the left, scroll down and then hover over “People’s calendars.”
- Click the three dots.
- Choose “Add calendar” and type the person’s name in.
- Their calendar will be added to the “People’s calendars” section
- If you want to remove the calendar, click the three dots next to the person’s name.
- When you select a person, you will see their calendar and yours, and available times should be quite obvious.