Home » Menu Items
Category Archives: Menu Items
To add someone to the Safe Senders list using Windows Outlook (Mac Outlook users must use the steps for Office 365 below):
1. Right-click on any message in your Inbox and point to Junk, then to Junk E-mail Options.
2. Select the Safe Senders tab.
3. Click Add and enter the email address desired.
4. Click OK.
5. You might also want to check the two check boxes in this dialog box.
6. Click Apply and OK.
In Office 365:
1. Log into Webmail at http://go.middlebury.edu/mail.
2. Click on the Settings (gear) icon in the upper-right corner of the window.
3. Select Mail.
4. Select Block or Allow on the left side.
5. Click the plus sign (+) next to the Safe Senders and Recipients list to add and email address.
All MIIS faculty, staff and students can download a licensed copy of Office Suite apps onto their personal computer using their Middlebury credentials.
To download Office 365 apps, follow the steps below:
- Using your Middlebury email credentials (be sure to use @middlebury.edu), sign into office.com
- Click on ‘install office’ on the top right side of the screen
- Choose ‘Office 365 apps’
- Download will be automatic
If you are unable to connect to campus resources such as Papercut, Printers and Library Databases it could your DNS settings. See the guidelines below to ensure that your DNS settings are set to ‘Auto’ and you are not using outside servers, such as Google DNS.
- Go to the Windows “Start” menu (the circular button on the bottom left of your screen)
- Type in Control Panel.
- Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
- To change the settings:
- To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection > Properties.
- For an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection > Properties
- Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).
- Click Properties.
- Google DNS servers have the following addresses:
- For IPv4: 220.127.116.11 and/or 18.104.22.168.
- For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844.
If you see the image below, you are connected to a public google DNS.
- To remove this, select the Obtain DNS Server address automatically, and click OK.
- Now try connecting to Papercut and you should not have any issues.
- Click Apple> System Preferences > Network.
2. Select the connection for which you want to configure and click on Advanced
3. Select the DNS tab. The Google DNS addresses that you need to remove are as follows:
- For IPv4: 22.214.171.124 and/or 126.96.36.199.
- For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844.
If you are connected to the google DNS you will see the following image:
4. Click ‘+’ once and then click ‘-’ twice until you see the google DNS addresses removed and the original DNS servers restored.
The Institute DNS servers should look identical to these:
5. Then click OK and Apply and close the tab.
6. Close the tab now and then try connecting to Papercut again.
If you still have issues reaching Papercut, stop by the Helpdesk with your device. We are located in Casa Fuente, top floor, room 320.
As of June 4, 2017, the current Monterey campus wireless networks miis, miismobile, and miisguest will be retired (turned off) and two new wireless networks will be available to connect your wireless devices:
- MiddleburyCollege – for anybody with a Middlebury hosted email account, i.e. if you have a MIIS/Middlebury email account
- MiddleburyGuest – for all others
Connecting to MiddleburyCollege
- If using a laptop, click the wireless icon () located on the far right of the task bar along the bottom of your screen. On a mobile phone, go to the WiFi set-up panel.
- Click MiddleburyCollege, then click Connect.
- If you are prompted for Network Authentication, enter your [username]@middlebury.edu email account name and your usual email password. When you Connect/Join the new network, accept the certificate if asked for this. For example:
WiFi Name: MiddleburyCollege
Connecting to MiddleburyGuest
- Turn on your wireless device then select the MiddleburyGuest wireless network.
- Open a web browser; you should be welcomed by Middlebury’s wireless portal page.
- Click Create Basic Guest Account.
- Please complete the form as directed:
- Type your name, phone number, and email address.
- Click Register to complete your account creation process. You will receive a text message and an e-mail with your password.
5. Click Log In and enter your e-mail address and password to connect to the MiddleburyGuest wireless network using your new account.
Should you have any questions, contact the ITS Help Desk at 831-647-6656 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the best results, we recommend that you update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to the latest iOS. At this time, the latest is iOS 10. For more information on updating your Apple products, please refer to Apple’s support article.
Following the steps below will help you set up your MIIS email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. We have included screenshots from setup on an iPhone, but the process is the same for the other devices.
1. On the Home Screen, tap on the “Settings” icon.
2. Tap on “Mail”.
5. Select “Exchange”.
6. Enter your email address and password. On this screen, you may use @miis.edu for your email address. The Description field is specific to yourself and merely allows you to differentiate between your accounts in the Mail app, so choose something that will help you do that (e.g. “MIIS” or “MIIS Mail”). Tap Next.
7. Use these specific settings:
Email: email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org **
Password: Your MIIS account password
**The “email” field is the reply-to address, so this is the address others will see when you email them. So depending on whether you prefer to use @middlebury.edu or @miis.edu, use your preference. The username field MUST be @middlebury.edu.
Tap Save, and the settings will be verified with the Exchange server. If you get an error message, check the details you have entered.
8. Select whether you want just your Mail to be synced on the device, or also your Contacts and Calendars (if you have any on your MIIS Exchange account). **Unless you keep an up-to-date list of contacts in Outlook, you should not synchronize contacts because your existing contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch will be deleted. The same goes for your calendar. If you use your device’s calendar to organize your schedule, you should not synchronize your calendar. Tap Save.
If you have any further questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at email@example.com or (831) 647-6656, or come visit us on campus in Casa Fuente 320.
Disclaimer: We provide these steps as a convenience to those who prefer to use Gmail as their email interface. If your MIIS email password expires, or if you change it – you are responsible for updating your Gmail account with your new credentials. ITS Helpdesk supports Microsoft Office 365 for its users and it’s expected that those choosing to use Gmail or another service will be responsible for maintaining authentication to that service.
That being said…
- Log in to your gmail account:
2. Click the “Settings” button at the top right corner of your gmail interface:
3. Find the item titled as “Send mail as” and then click “Add another email address you own”.
4. Now you can give this account a name and add your MIIS email account as: firstname.lastname@example.org Then click “Next Step”.
5. Put in “smtp.office365.com” as the “SMTP Server” and “587” as the “Port”. Your username and password for the MIIS email should be put there too. Then select “Secured connection using TLS” and click “Add Account”.
6. Within several minutes, you should get an email from gmail with the verification code. You can either click on the link in the confirmation email or enter the code.
7. Now……………TA-DA! Your MIIS email address should show up underneath your gmail address. You can select which email address to send mails from next time you log in to your gmail account now!
8. If you have any problem with doing this, you can always call IT Help Desk or visit us on the 3rd floor of Casa Fuente! Good luck~
PLEASE VISIT HTTP://GO.MIDDLEBURY.EDU/MAIL TO ACCESS YOUR MIDDLEBURY EMAIL.
Login with your middlebury.edu email address. Use the password you recently created.
It should redirect you to a Middlebury login page.
If not click this link https://outlook.com/owa/middlebury.edu.
Enter your Middlebury email address (email@example.com). Do not use ‘@miis.edu’ for your email address. Then enter your current email password. If you haven’t set up, or you forgot your password, PLEASE READ how to activate (or reset) your password.
When you successfully log into your Middlebury email account for the first time, it will ask you to choose a time zone. We are in Pacific Time Zone (UTC-7)
You have enough to worry about as a new student on campus, and using your computer should not be one of them. If you feel that your computer skills are insufficient or you find yourself struggling in your courses to keep up, Lynda online courses are a great way to build your computer skills.
To access Lynda courses, visit go.miis.edu/lynda and create an account using your Middlebury email address.
Mac OS X
And if you’re interested in learning the differences between Mac and Windows:
Because you use your username and password to log into the MiddleburyCollege wifi network, you need to make your computer forget your old password and remember your new one… like starting over fresh.
First, make your computer forget your old password.
- Navigate to the lower right corner of your screen and click on where it displays all available wifi networks. Click Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Manage wireless networks.
- Select the MiddleburyCollege network and then click Remove.
- Click Yes.
Now that the MiddleburyCollege network is removed from your wireless networks, you will have to manually re-add it.
- Click Add.
- Click Manually create a network profile.
- Under Information for the wireless network you want to add:
- Enter MiddleburyCollege into the Network name field.
- Select WPA2-‐Enterprise in the Security type dropdown menu.
- Select AES in the Encryption type dropdown menu.
- Check to select Start this connection automatically.
- Click Next.
- Click Change connection settings.
- The Connection tab should look like this:
- Click on the Security tab, then Settings.
- Uncheck Validate server certificate, then click Configure.
- Uncheck the Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any) checkbox. Finally click OK.
- Click OK to close Protected EAP Properties.
- In the Security tab, click on Advanced Settings.
- Check Specify Authentication mode and choose User Authentication from the dropdown menu. Click OK.
- Click OK to close MiddleburyCollege Wireless Network properties.
- Click Close to complete the setup.
Once you have completed the configuration steps in the above section, you should see a bubble appear in the lower right corner of your task bar. You can then follow the below steps to connect to the network.
- Click on the bubble Additional information is required to connect to MiddleburyCollege prompted in your task bar.
- A network dialog box will appear. Enter your username and password (same as your email account, without the “@miis.edu”). And then click OK.
You should now be connected to the MiddlebuyCollege network!
Every MIIS student, faculty, and staff member connects to the on-campus Wifi using their MIIS username and password. When you reset your password every 6 months, you need to change the stored password that your computer remembers for when you need Wifi on campus.
To fix your MiddleburyCollege Wifi on your Mac, please follow these steps.
2. Once you are in Keychain Access, search for “MiddleburyCollege” to find your stored password. Under “Kind,” look for the 802.1x password. The date associated with this password should be from a few months ago (or from whenever you entered your MiddleburyCollege Wifi credentials for the first time).
4. Once you have deleted your old password, you must replace it with the new password you just created. This is just like signing onto the MiddleburyCollege Wifi for the first time. Open Network Preferences, either by clicking on the Wifi icon in the upper righthand corner, or through System Preferences.
5. Upon trying to join the MiddleburyCollege network, you will be prompted to enter your new password. Once you are done, hit join!
**Keep in mind that you will need to change your saved password on all your devices (web browser, smartphone, tablet, etc). If you have any problems with this, bring your computer to the ITS HelpDesk (CF 320) or call us (831) 647-6656.