My first week

The Saint Mary's campus is beautiful, although pretty darn empty!
The Saint Mary’s campus is beautiful, although pretty darn empty!

I recently finished my first week of practicum at Saint Mary’s College of California. So far, things are off to a slow and relaxed start. Since spring semester just ended, many faculty are finishing up and heading out for the summer and staff are starting to take vacations. All but a few of the students are gone, which means the Center for International Programs (CIP) is pretty quiet. With the housekeeping items out of the way, I’m going to be working on creating a handbook for parents, reviewing possible changes to the Peer Mentor Program, and getting ready for the study abroad fair in the fall. Once we get closer to fall, I’m hoping to also work with Saint Mary’s international living/learning community.

While I’m ready to get working on practicum deliverables, I’m finding that everyone else in the CIP is in recoup mode after commencement and annual NAFSA. I’ve been told that for the summer, I can pretty much come and go when I want, and work as much or as little as I want (although I’ve been promised many times that this will change in the fall). Is anyone else finding themselves with a lot of time on their hands? Without any immediate deadlines for papers, presentations, or substantive posts, I’m having a bit of a hard time figuring out what to do with myself.

I think it might be time for a lawn chair, a lemonade, and some light summer reading. Moodian, anyone?