As 2019 comes to a close, the LMCC research team would like to provide an update on our accomplishments this year and our plans for 2020.
2019 Year in Review
The last year was a productive one for the LMCC project. We formalized our research study on the core competencies for the professional practice of localization management by expanding the research carried out by a few researchers at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey to incorporate a larger audience of graduate candidates and industry experts. With the help of this larger audience, we produced the following deliverables for the localization industry at large.
- We developed an initial typology of localization competencies through research into localization project management job descriptions, international standards of best practice, and other industry resources. Ongoing research produced new versions of the typology. The methodology for version 1 development can be found here, and the current version of our typology, LMCC Version 4, can be viewed here.
- We published the LMCC wiki page, a publicly available resource available to the industry at large. See sites.miis.edu/lmcc.
- We conducted an industry survey on our typology and presented preliminary results of this survey at the 60th Annual Conference of the American Translators Association and at the IMUG talk “Localization Careers” hosted by Adobe Globalization. The ATA presentation “Standardized Competencies for the Professional Practice of Localization Project Management” can be downloaded here. The IMUG “Localization Careers” talk can be viewed here.
The upcoming year promises to be a productive year for the LMCC research study as well. The overarching goal for 2020 will be expansion of our research to include more resources by more stakeholders.
- We will publish a report on our LMCC 2019 industry survey and hold a number of webinars to evangelize on our study. The first webinar will be a private webinar with a detailed look at survey results for participants of the LMCC 2019 industry survey. We’ll next hold a public webinar with a more general look at survey results.
- We will publish version 5 of the typology early in the year based on feedback from industry stakeholders.
- We will introduce an LMCC podcast in which we discuss the typology with various industry stakeholders.
- We hope to roll out a new crowdsourcing model for LMCC typology development by building a community of LMCC curators and users. We’re currently seeking quotes for a custom-built LMCC Typology Crowdsourcing software!
Thank you contributors!
Finally, we take this opportunity to thank the many contributors to our project in 2019!