- Luxembourg is a very small country, with a geographic size slightly smaller than the state of Rhode Island
- 2013 estimate of population of 514,862 (July 2013 est.)
- Large immigrant population:
- 2000: Luxembourger 63.1%, Portuguese 13.3%, French 4.5%, Italian 4.3%, German 2.3%, other EU 7.3%, other 5.2% (2000 census)
- over 47% of students, 65% of active population, 43% in 2011
- Languages: national language is Luxembourgish, legislative language is French, official administrative and judicial languages French, German, Luxembourgish. All are languages of instruction. many immigrants speak Portugese and English.
- Literacy: 100% (2000 est.) of population age 15 and over that can read and write.
- school life expectancy (total number of years of schooling that a child can expect to receive): 14 years
- 87% Roman Catholic
- $42.92 billion (2012 est.)
- Spending on education: Preprimary level: annual expenditure of USD 20,958 (3 times the OECD average)
- Primary level: annual expenditures USD 21,240
- Secondary: USD 17,633
U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (2013). Luxembourg. In The world factbook. Retrieved from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/lu.html