We’re (cough) not in Mindanao anymore (cough).

On our layover in Guangzhou, China:

Cigarette smoke penetrated the carpeting and seats of the van. I dreaded the thought of whether or not the hotel we were traveling to is a reflection of the van we took to get there.

I started to think back to Mindanao. Regardless of the stage of development, there were still very strict ordinances against smoking. I cannot recall a vehicle or building that we went into that smelled like cigarettes. The roads in the cities and rural areas were flooded with anti-smoking propaganda. How is it that such a developed country like China would condone smoking, especially inside a public vehicle? I opened the passenger window. The outside air was crisp and fresh. I awaited our arrival to our hotel.

As we continued our drive I admired the beautiful Chinese characters that graced road signs and vehicle doors. This is the first time I’ve been in a communist country. Will their government structure be immediately noticeable? As an American, I’ve been trained to look down upon Communism, to fight it. But I wonder what it is actually like. I would be interested to stay in China for an extended period of time to better understand their culture, government and their social sensors. Tonight will hopefully provide a taste.

Speaking of taste, I look forward to tracking down some authentic Chinese food. I understand that what Americans consider Chinese food really isn’t authentic Chinese food. Moreover, when marketing that good type, the Chinese refer to jt as “American-Chinese food.” Whatever it is, I hope it’s good!

Most of the passengers have shut their windows in the van as it is much colder now than before. We’ve been driving for about twenty minutes. The closed windows allow for the smell of smoke to refill our nares; It’s quite unpleasant. I return to my thoughts.IMG_4433

It blows my mind when I remind myself that I’m in a country that I’ve only read about in articles or analyzed in class. This coming semester I will be taking global political economy, a subject in which I know China is a big player. I’m looking forward to it.

We have easily been on the road for thirty minutes. Why would the airline chose a hotel so far away from the airport? The cigarette smell hasn’t subsided. I’m starting to feel nauseous.

Well, I immediately upon arriving at the hotel I realize why we drove so far. It’s a lavish skyscraper. A hotel I could probably never afford. The van stops in front of the luxurious skyscraper. I miss the cigarette-smoke-free air  and modest accommodations of Mindanao.