Sustainable Fishing

This is the second in a series of three blog posts about a two-week field experience I had in Baja California, Mexico this summer. 

I sometimes struggle to define the work that interests me. I know what it is, but I have to spin it differently depending on my audience:

“Conserve marine ecosystems and habitat.”

“Assist local artisanal fishermen in maintaining their livelihood.”

“Help communities secure exclusive rights to specific marine resources.”

“Find ways to incentivize fishermen to protect the coast and ocean.”

“Live in interesting coastal communities in developing countries.”

I’m learning though, that quite simply, I want to promote sustainable fishing. The phrase “sustainable fishing” involves that loaded and sometimes misused word, “sustainable”. My favorite definitions of sustainability specify the importance of a triple bottom line: people, profit and planet or a focus of the social, economic and environmental outcomes. I recently learned that the two Spanish words for sustainability—“sustentable” and “sostenible” initially had different definitions. One pointed towards the gentle use of a resource with an understanding that the resource would be used up. The other meant finding ways for people to thrive while utilizing their natural resources, but ensuring that the resource would be available for future generations. I prefer the second definition. I think our grandchildren should be able to know pristine coastal areas, healthy fish and thriving coral reefs.

Basically, my work is about finding ways to promote the social, economic and environmental well being of fishing communities.

Grupo Tortuguero has a project in Lopez Mateos that does just that. It was a treat to tag along with their team over almost two weeks to experience their work and offer some recommendations. The project, “PROMAR: Productos Marinos Sustentables SPR de RL” is a partnership between Grupo Tortuguero, the fishermen of five local fishing cooperatives and their wives. PROMAR is developing a program that promotes changes that should benefit the environment, the local economy and the community. The environment benefits because the fishermen will transfer their gear from gill nets to hook and line. This change will essentially eliminate bycatch and should increase the quality of the catch because only certain species will be targeted. The local economy profits because fishermen will immediately place their catch into coolers of ice (currently, catch sits on the boat, sometimes going bad due to the hot sun), then bring the catch to a collectively-owned air conditioned and sanitized processing center to be cleaned (currently, fish are cleaned on the beach). The sustainably caught, responsibly processed fish will be sold to gourmet seafood buyers in Cabo san Lucas via a coordinated transportation system that guarantees that the fish stays on ice the entire time. These buyers offer a much higher price that what is currently paid to fishermen for the fish caught my gill nets and cleaned on the beach. Finally, the community benefits because it involves women in the production. The fishermen’s wives are currently taking computer classes to learn basic skills on Microsoft Word and Excel. They are the managing partners of the program and also responsible for the processing of the fish. This partnership is unique and one of few in the world that so equally involves and benefits women in a traditionally male dominated sector. The distilled and lovely end goal of the PROMAR project is empowered families, protected ecosystems, conserved turtles, financial security.

PROMAR, as expected, is in the process of defining itself. I hosted a small workshop on building a successful cooperative. During the workshop, I described a cooperative organization as a living organism. Although a coop is comprised of individual members, it has its own identity and its own way of being in the world. I encouraged PROMAR’s members to consider their organization as a baby. A baby needs quality food, attention and care to grow to be a successful adult. As a child, it needs monitoring and guidance. My message to PROMAR was that as members, they are the parents of this baby. If they invest the proper time, energy and effort into organizing themselves well now, their “baby” will grow to be a very successful adult.

I am so excited to see how PROMAR grows!

99 thoughts on “Sustainable Fishing

1. Eloise Cooper

Marine life assumes a fundamental part in our environmental change arrangement, there are a lot of marine animal types who symbolize best pointer of seas warming, since researchers have examining and following them for a long time and they are mind boggling to atmosphere. There is no compelling reason to isolate time from your bustling calendar now you can UK Essay Help At EssayStar.co.Uk without exasperating your every day schedule. In a report I found that “The way that we find worldwide rationality in reactions, over a similar day and age that warming temperatures have been connected unequivocally to rising nursery gasses, gives solid confirmation of environmental change as a driver of the progressions.” Hope you will recover another open door soon to arrive for your exploration work at DC.

Reply
  2. jual tanah rumah majalengka

This is the second in a series of three blog posts about a two-week field experience I had in Baja California, Mexico this summer

Reply
  3. Wild

This blog’ s benefits for visitors to travel the best place. This blog is in different places in traveling and provide for planning for budgets. I appreciate to your blog content, then really nice researching for travel tips. Thanks for the sharing with us.
    wildlouisianatours

Reply
  4. Huma

If you’re able to sleep while you fly, go for a red-eye so you can sleep overnight and make the transition as seamless as possible. While travel If you’re not able to sleep on a plane, choose a flight that arrives early enough for you to get to your final destination, into bed, and sleep to get a full night’s rest.
    wildlouisianatours

Reply
  5. jack

He told the client that their home would be part of a HERO program — that stands for Home Energy Renovation Opportunity. It’s a private company like Ygrene, approved by local governments to set up repayment of loans through the homeowner’s property taxes. The money can be used for anything from air-conditioning to windows to doors — it’s jut not a government entity. But you’d never know it from his pitch.Condominio Santa Ana Village

Reply
  6. Chester Lynch

You will have your cross stitch patterns and you can be proud of the great content you will have to share with the world. I have an idea of what you are trying to achieve. I have seen plenty of designs for cross stitch cards and I have found that when you take the time to study what different designers have done, you can create your own card and stand out from the crowd.
    https://cross-stitch-kits.org/

Reply
  7. darren chris

As homeowners, are you still troubled by cement tile grout getting yellow, stained, and cracked? Especially in the bathroom, toilet, and so on, such excessive water area. To main the house clean and look more beautiful, you are forced to find good tile grout cleaner, while cleaning the tile grout is labor demanding and time incentive. A tiler, do you dislike the complicated operation way of cement tile grout? Well, Kastar can help solve all existed problems caused by cement tile grout. Please check the difference between Kastar and cement tile grout.

Reply
  8. lisa

Very interesting, I’m not sure if this correlation is causal, but I know that the government cut subsidies for clean energy in the middle of the economic crisis, so it seems to me very possible that fracking went up at the same time to compensate.

Reply
  9. lisa

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired!
    Very helpful information specially the final section I maintain such info a lot.
    I used to be seeking this certain info for a long time.
    Thanks and good luck.Immobilien Budapest

Reply
  10. lisa

I was checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired!
    Thanks and good luck.Budapest

Reply
  11. Rose Watson

Thanks for the information your post brings. I see the novelty in your text, I will share it for everyone to read. I look forward to reading more articles from you. Stickman Hook

Reply
  12. شرکت مهندسی تهویه نوین ایران

سیستم های خنک کننده دقیق مربوط به مرکز داده Precision IT Cooling Systems و با استفاده از خنک کننده های معمول HVAC یا CRAC Commputer Room Air Conditioner امکان خنک کردن آنها میسر بوده است. این نوع خنک کننده ها هوای خنک تولید شده را از زیر به درون فضای زیر کف کاذب ارسال و از طریق دریچه های تعبیه شده بر روی کف کاذب سرورهای موجود را خنک می نمایند. مجدداً هوای گرم از طریق کانال برگشت (درصورت وجود) به دستگاه CRAC برگشته و سیکل بدین ترتیب تکرار می شود. تلاش همکاران ما در شرکت تهویه نوین ایرانیان همواره بر آن است تا با حرکت موثر در تحقق بخشیدن به مشتری مداری، ارائه محصولات با کیفیت و عملکرد مطلوب، بهینه شدن هزینه ها و ارائه خدمات پس از فروش است.

Reply
  13. بهترین مرکز درمان بیماری های گوارشی و نشیمن گاهی

آبسه مقعدی به دلیل وجود چرک بیمار علاوه بر درد احساس تب ، بدن درد ، بی اشتهایی و بدی حال عمومی را به همراه دارد. عده ای این مورد را با سرماخوردگی اشتباه می گیرند، پس دقت کنید که اگر درد در ناحیه مقعد همزمان با احساس تب و کرختی و کوفتگی بدن دارید، ممکن است در معرض آبسه مقدی باشید. کلینیک لیزر شفا با مدیریت دکتر داود تاج بخش به عنوان بهترین مرکز درمان بیماری های گوارشی و نشیمن گاهی مجهز به تخصصی ترین و بروزترین دستگاه های لیزر ( که امروزه در دنیا استفاده میگردد) می باشد برای کسب اطلاعات بیشتر به وب سایت کلینیک لیزر شفا مراجعه فرمایید.

Reply
  14. شرکت آمینا گروپ

ما در آمینا گروپ بازاریابی شبکه های اجتماعی یا SMM را به شما توضیح خواهیم داد تا بدین گونه بگوییم که هر فعالیت مثبت شما در شبکه های اجتماعی چگونه باعث جذب مشتری شود. اگر به سئو و بهینه سازی وب سایت اهمیت می دهید بهتر است که SMM را در دستور کار خود قرار دهید چرا که به سئو شما بهبود می بخشد و به نوعی نیاز هر سایت به حساب می آید.

Reply
  15. گروه تولیدی جلگه

در دستگاه های آبسردکن شیر آبسردکن بالاترین میزان مصرف را دارد که به همین دلیل تعمیر آن امر بسیار مهمی است و هنگام خرید شیر آبسردکن باید دقت کنید که حتما شیر خریداری شده مشابه شیر قبلی باشد. آبسردکن ها دارای مدل های مختلفی هستند و شیر های مختلفی دارند که در دونوع پلاستیکی و تولید می شوند.

Reply
  16. بهترین مرکز درمان بیماری های گوارشی و نشیمن گاهی

برای درمان فیستول اطراف مقعد با کمک گرفتن از جراحی که به طور معمول این کار با بکارگیری بی حسی موضعی صورت می گیرد.این کار با بی حسی موضعی انجام می گیرد، اما در بعضی موارد ممکن است بیهوشی عمومی لازم شود. باتوجه به عمق درگیری، از روش های جراحی متفاوتی استفاده می شود. کلینیک لیزر شفا با مدیریت دکتر داود تاج بخش به عنوان بهترین مرکز درمان بیماری های گوارشی و نشیمن گاهی مجهز به تخصصی ترین و بروزترین دستگاه های لیزر ( که امروزه در دنیا استفاده میگردد) می باشد برای کسب اطلاعات بیشتر به وب سایت کلینیک لیزر شفا مراجعه فرمایید.

Reply
  17. شرکت تهویه رویا نوین ایرانیان

شرکت تهویه رویا نوین ایرانیان با استفاده از دانش امروزی و تجربیات گذشته خود توانسته در زمینه تولید محصولات تهویه مطبوع و با مونتاژ سیستم های سرمایشی بسیار موفق باشد. تهویه مطبوع شاخه ای از علم مهندسی مکانیک است و نقش آن ایجاد شرایطی است که انسان در محیط فعالیت و زندگی خویش بتواند احساس راحتی نماید. شرکت تهویه رویا نوین ایرانیان علاوه بر بخش فروش در بخش خدمات پس از فروش نیز از مهندسان خبره و مجرب بهره می گیرد و از این رو تهویه نوین ایرانیان با علم و دانش روز به بخش خدمات پس از فروش نگریسته تا بتواند در این امر نیز رضایت کامل مشتریان خویش را نیز جلب نماید.

https://tahvienovin.ir

Reply
    1. hormuz

r the information your post brings. I see the novelty in your text, I will share it for everyone to read. I look forward to reading more articles r the information your post brings. I see the novelty in your text, I will share it for everyone to read. I look forward to reading more articles
      https://bit.ly/3kG0hcw

Reply
  18. maryamjoon

یکی از کاربردی ترین انواع سیستم های قفسه بندی انبار بزرگ صنعتی و نیمه صنعتی قفسه راک کفپوش دار
    می باشد که با حداکثر استفاده از فضا، امکان ذخیرسازی محصولات نیمه سنگین و سنگین را فراهم می سازد.

Reply
  19. mhmod

آموزش تعمیرات لوازم خانگی
    در دوره آموزش تعمیرات لوازم خانگی به شما نحوه تعمیرات انواع لوازم خانگی ریز و درشت مثل یخچال، تلویزیون، لباسشوئی، جارو برقی و همه لوازم برقی آشپزخانه آموزش داده خواهد شد.

Reply
  20. bourse

am searching on google for packing info and tips but i found your blog. I get the really very helpful packing tips. It’s a very easy packing to use your tricks. Really i am happy with your info. Great b am searching on google for packing info and tips but i found your blog. I get the really very helpful packing tips. It’s a very easy packing to use your tricks. Really i am happy with your info. Great b
    https://bit.ly/3eEuFQF

Reply
  21. دکتر مهدیانی - بهترین جراح زیبایی

پس از عمل ماستکتومی معمولا نیاز به عمل جراحی بازسازی سینه برای اصلاح ظاهر سینه و طبیعی نمودن پستان ها است. امروزه بسياري از زنان به علت مبتلا بودن به سرطان ملزم به انجام جراحی می شوند. مرکز تخصصی جراحی پلاستیک و زیبایی دکتر مهدیانی دارای چند سال سابقه مفید می باشد همین امر سبب گردیده است تا این مرکز جزء یکی از بهترین مراکز زیبایی در سطح تهران باشد.

Reply
  22. شرکت مرسا اعتماد تک (هیتما)

کولر آبی پرتابل هیتما مجهز به سیستم سرمایشی و گرمایشی است و همچنین شما می‌توانید با تنظیم مدت زمان مورد نیاز جهت استفاده از این دستگاه ، زمان دلخواه جهت خاموش شدن دستگاه را انتخاب کنید. توان باددهی کولر پرتابل هیتما 600 متر مکعب در ساعت می باشد. پمپ، آب موجود در منبع را به فیلتر سلولزی کولر می‌رساند.

Reply
  23. طراحی داخلی ایوان سبز

با گذر زمان و فرسایش ساختمان یکی از بهترین راه های نوسازی، بازسازی ساختمان است. بازسازی ساختمان باید اصولی بوده تا برای سالها ساختمان مذکور قابل سکونت باشد. برای آشنایی با نحوه بازسازی و مراحل آن می توانید از سایت ایوان سبز بازدید نمائید.

Reply
  24. Nora

It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing.
    Ornaments

Reply
  25. Nora

sustentable” and “sostenible” initially had different definitions. One pointed towards the gentle use of a resource with an understanding that the resource would be used up. The other meant finding ways for people to thrive while utilizing their natural resources, but ensuring that the resource would be available for future generations. I prefer the second definition. I think our grandchildren should be able to know pristine coastal areas, healthy fish and thriving coral reefs.
    ornaments

Reply