2017 Intern Spotlight: Gabriel Dunatov

Gabriel Dunatov

Home Institution: Occidental College

Major: Political Science

“My internship at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies was a unique opportunity to study nonproliferation, disarmament, and arms control. Coming from a college that does not provide the opportunity to study nonproliferation, I felt honored to learn from and work with the leading experts in the field. I was particularly happy to have the chance to apply my language skills and pursue independent research that suited my passions. 

The most rewarding aspect of this internship was the opportunity to integrate ourselves into the Middlebury graduate school community. As interns, we had the chance to attend sessions of the Monterey Summer Symposium on Russia, connect with graduate students, and conduct research that felt valued. This experience distinguished itself by fostering a work culture where our contributions were valued. It was clear that the institute was invested in our education and future careers. I look forward to staying in touch with the connections I made as I pursue a career in a related field. I will always be appreciative for my summer in Monterey, and I look forward to returning.”