Turtle Rodeo

This is the third in a series of three blog posts about a two-week field experience I had in Baja California, Mexico this summer

When Grupo Tortuguero’s director invited me to spend a couple of weeks in their field station, he mentioned that it would be a good time to come because they would be doing turtle rodeos and I could ride along. Sure, I’m always up for an adventure and I love being on the water. I packed a few Dramamine and some extra sunscreen, unsure of what to expect. A turtle rodeo involves exactly that—rodeoing turtles. Two boats scan the water in search of sea turtles that have come to hang out on the surface. Once a turtle is spotted, the boat carefully approaches from behind while the um, turtle cowboy, prepares himself. As soon as we were close to a turtle, the “cowboy” (frequently Grupo Tortuguero’s Science and Fisheries Director, Hoyt Peckham) leaps into the water, grabs hold of the turtle’s shell and wrangles it to the boat. A few people help lift it onto the boat for measurements and assessment. The wrangling part is the most exciting, but what comes next is most important.

A small damp rag is placed over the turtle’s face to help keep it calm. Hoyt and his team measure, weigh and tag the turtle. Then they remove barnacles from the turtle’s shell that, although natural, can harm the turtle by changing its hydrodynamics and causing harm to the shell. A small sample of skin and shell is taken so that the scientists can analyze isotopes to better understand the turtle’s diet. The turtle is then gently released and continues its day unharmed. The actual “rodeoing” part is quite challenging because the turtle is strong and frequently dives under the water. For that reason, my chance to “rodeo” came during the release of a turtle. I jumped into the water so that Hoyt and his team could pass me the turtle. I held onto it for a moment, then gently released it so that it could glide under the water. Yes, it was as fun and magical as you’d imagine.

Data from the turtle rodeos are used to help us better understand the turtle’s habitat needs and informs conservation efforts. A big thank you to Grupo Tortuguero for letting me come along on the rodeo!

10 thoughts on “Turtle Rodeo

1. bbgems&diamond's

Grapple here some of the amazing and astounding resources generator for boundless activity through boom beach free gems by upgrading your troops, base and defense for stronger home base to conquer your enemy base and lot more fun to do.

Reply
  2. Mia Archer

Such an interesting blog,i really like to visit here and looking for more useful data accordingly.As you have shared that it is often happen for many individuals and they have to go through for getting more help accordingly.As i used to do the same thing after enjoying with my friends,i always got stuck for my academic writing help and so one of my friend suggested me to go through with it and you will get the best data for my help with essay and when i started following that thing so it was great for me that i got the best useful response from online resources and i got a high score in my semester so onward i suggest to others for the same thing and they are also good to go through that thing.Thanks for sharing this knowledge.

Reply
  3. Euricana Ciara

This is a to a wonderful degree lighting up article. I likewise agree with your post title and your really well outline your point of view. I am astoundingly cheery to see this post. A dedication of gratefulness is all together for share with us. Keep it up and share the more most related post.
    Essay Spot
    Extraordinary work!

Reply
  4. Rosalinda

This astounding background will let you to have the likelihood to watch ocean turtles in their indigenous habitat and be a nearby observer of a dynamic logical work with these delightful and great wild creatures or even help researcher with the Coursework writing services UK. Cruising with these tested agents in the ocean turtle’s zone, I would perceive how two neighborhood anglers get the ocean turtles in unique outlined nets for no to hurt them. At the point when ocean turtles are ready, specialists group begins with the estimation procedure, weight, and examining and labeled of turtles.

Reply