Get trained up on Canvas LMS for Spring ’17!
Middlebury’s transition from Moodle to Canvas is nearly complete. This fall we had a fantastic cohort of instructors successfully migrate to Canvas. We are happy to report that, thus far, over 50% of Institute instructors have provisioned a Canvas course through Course Hub. Next semester, faculty will no longer be able to create Moodle pages. To make this transition as smooth as possible for you, we invite you to attend our two-part workshop series on Teaching with Canvas. Workshops will be offered on-ground in the DLC as well as virtually.
While there are several self-paced resources at your disposal, including recordings of the last workshop series, these sessions will give you a step-by-step tour of Canvas’ pedagogical features. Workshops will be based on the curriculum from this highly recommended Canvas Canvas training – go.miis.edu/canvascanvas – provided by the office of the Associate Provost for Digital Learning. These workshops are designed for you to follow along in your own Canvas space, so you’ll want to establish your course pages or request a Canvas sandbox beforehand.
If you would like to request a Canvas site for non-teaching purposes (working group, committee, or other administrative purpose), click here to submit your request to the MIIS Help Desk. Expect 2-3 business days for requests to be completed.
Schedule & Sign Up
Date & Time
|Part 1||Wednesday, November 9, 10:10-11:10 AM||On-ground: D Sp@ce, Digital Learning Commons (MG001)|
|Part 1||Thursday, November 10, 2:20-3:20 PM||Online: go.miis.edu/dlcworkshop|
|Part 2||Wednesday, November 16, 10:10-11:10 AM||On-ground: D Sp@ce, Digital Learning Commons (MG001)|
|Part 2||Friday, November 18, 2:20-3:20 PM||Online: go.miis.edu/dlcworkshop|
Part 1: Intro to Teaching with Canvas
This workshop covered Canvas fundamentals to get you started:
- Global settings and user interface
- Course details, settings and navigation
- Homepage optimization
Part 2: Teaching with Canvas – Next Steps
- Groups & Sections
- Outcomes + Rubrics
- Speedgrader and feedback
- Weighted graded categories and grading schemes
To attend the virtual sessions:
- Go to go.miis.edu/dlcworkshop in up-to-date Safari or Firefox. Chrome or IE will be problematic. Update flash player if prompted. If you’re using a mobile device, you can download the app.
- Login as a guest with your full name.
- Complete the audio set up wizard under the meeting tab to ensure that your speaker settings are optimized. Don’t worry about a microphone or webcam, you’ll be able to ask questions via the chatbox.
- These sessions are recorded and shared.