Eating our way through Gandhi’s land

IMG_2753I won’t spend a lot of time describing Gujarati cuisine. There are some very descriptive blog posts dealing with the sweet and spicy flavors that characterize the Gujarati’s approach to the culinary arts. I am only writing this post in order to stress the role that food played on this journey from fast food in Ahmedabad to five star restaurants with incredible views to the late night meals in a kitchen of a tribal village in south Gujarat.

We ate well in Gujarat. Very well. In fact, it could be argued that the occasional stomach conditions that interrupted the eating pattern was probably a good thing in that it forced us to take a break. I believe I ate a packet of Parle-G biscuits anyway that particular day. I have never felt so full for so long in all my life. I would sit down thinking that I would just eat something light, and half an hour later I would be stuffed to the gills again trying to figure out of one more bite of something would push me over the edge or not.

There are a lot of options for food in Gujarat, and in Ahmedabad it seemed like we tried them all. I had Hong Kong style noodles, marinara sauce on penne pasta, these little pizzas that I dream about sometimes, hot sweet and sour soup, South Indian dosas and Idli Sambar, pani puri, once almost two serving bowls of pav bhaji, many plates of Gujarati thali, khaman with chilies on top, chocolate glazed donuts, Cadbury 5 Star bars (thank you, Dr. Iyer), and many cups of Nescafe.IMG_3151

Outside of Ahmedabad there were some significant food experiences as well. In a tribal village near Bhiloda we ate what we were told was a “weed that grew among the wheat.” It was mixed with cheese and had a green color and it was served with this cornbread that we witnessed being made. My mouth waters thinking about it even though my stomach is currently full. Near Zankhvav in the South we ate twice one day in different tribal villages. The food was fantastic and I stuffed my face at both meals, but it was that second meal with the most amazing rice that I felt like I would have to wear an elastic waist band for the rest of the trip.

Food makes up a significant portion of the memories that I carry away from this trip, and if ever a foodie wants to know where to vacation… I have a suggestion.