The selection process

I am taking a large role in helping to improve the efficiency, reach, and desire for continuation of the first year program, for 6th graders, at Kids4Peace (monitoring and evaluation).  This past week, on Valentine’s Day and my birthday, we conducted interviews for some 70 youth – marking the beginning of the selection process.

017

The days were long and full of activity and stress for the children and staff alike, but we found plenty of time to enjoy ourselves as well.  On both evenings, I worked the check-in getting the opportunity to meet all the youth interested in joining the K4P first year program – and on the second evening my roommate Noa joined me for much of the time.

I did get the opportunity to step in to a handful of interviews in order to get a good impression of what goes on, the questions being asked and the pressure the kids must feel.  It can not be an easy situation for an 11-12 year old to go through an interview mostly in their second language, but some of these kids are really something else!

012

In the back of the office, we set up a nice room for the parents and children to socialize with the rest of the staff and some of the high schoolers who have been through the K4P program.

It did not make for the happiest birthday of my life certainly, but it was a very interesting one and a great experience to learn and see what the organization does on a more intimate level.  Because of the craziness of the day, the staff decided to delay my birthday celebration until next week – which is just fine by me – now it will feel like I get 2 birthdays this year!

023

Also, we will be continuing the selection process next week as we begin the workshops where the youth get the opportunity to interact with one another in smaller groups in order to showcase their eagerness to participate and socialize, their knowledge and skill sets – particularly in language.

It is an exciting time at the Kids4Peace Jerusalem office and we are looking forward to seeing the new group of youth that will join us this year – and sad to have to say no to so many others.

ALSO – DON’T FORGET TO PLEASE VOTE FOR THE KIDS4PEACE VIDEO – THE WINNER GETS A NICE DONATION: tellusworld.org/entry/kids4peace – it only takes a couple minutes!!!