A New Start

We have lived our lives by the assumption that what was good for us would be good for the world. We must change our lives so that it will be possible to live by the contrary assumption, that what is good for the world will be good for us. And that requires that we make the effort to know the world and learn what is good for it. We must learn to cooperate in its processes, and to yield to its limits.”

— Wendell Berry, Recollected Essays

It’s been a wonderful first week in Cape Town, South Africa. Already I have hiked mountains, crawled through caves, been to two Braais (BBQ South African style) and to the beach a couple times. And the cherry on the top, I will be working with an awesome NGO called Project 90 by 2030 throughout the summer.

Project 90 by 2030, is working to re-set the way South Africans and Southern Africans live, by daring people to change how they use energy, what they consider waste, and what they want their futures to look like. It does this by striving to address climate change and energy usage (for the coal dependent South Africa) through research, advocacy/ awareness campaigns, and renewable energy projects.

The staff, a small and lively one, is made of up my bosses Glen and Natalie, as well as Olivia, Hin Wah, Daniel, Candace, Steven, Robert and the director Brenda. There is also a wider network of staff and partners as well. More coming soon! And photos …

**  I plan to start of each of my new posts with a inspirational or thoughtful quote. If you have any suggestions, please send them to me!!