Here we go…

photo (2)

[Written Jan. 6]

I woke up early and anxious to start the day, I have a feeling I will attempt this early morning routine the rest of the trip.  Our room AC has us cool and refreshed, opening the door and going outside the reality of the warmth and humidity is drastic.  My first impression,  being aware of every new smell and sight, is quite stimulating. The hotel couldn’t be more ideal and after so much traveling it is nice to know we will be staying in this boutique hotel for the next few days.

Greeted by hotel concierge and the servers, every response is yes ma’am, thank you ma’am. The voices of their response are very soft and comforting.  Getting to the little breakfast cafe we are warmly greeted, and although we have only been here for a day, I have yet to open my own door whether entering the hotel or the cafe.  I was surprised to have the option of brewed coffee or instant. I thought that would be a no-brainer but I quickly discovered an appreciation for instant while 3-in-1 is even better.  For me breakfast was ideal with scrambled eggs and rice.   Growing up my parents were always amazed how much I enjoyed the simplicity of rice, I wonder if that enjoyment will remain throughout this trip.
Getting into the mindset as a researcher, our first meeting with our NGO host gave us an overview of what was to come while keeping in mind that everything had the possibility of changing and flexibility on our part is key.   Our hosts amazed me with their knowledge and capability of working with our professor to organize this trip.  Their roles in creating long standing peace building programs is inspiring.  Looking at the Itinerary showed the amount of detail that has gone into this program and  that the most will be made out of the next two weeks.