First experience

First experience:

My trip to Mindanao was really exhausting and long, for some reason my flights were either cancelled or delayed. However, I was lucky to reach the Philipines before our first group meeting. My last connection flight was via Manila to Davao city. I went out of the baggage claim zone and went in direction where I had to take a bus to get to a completely different terminal. A smiling airport worker approached me and asked me to fill in the form asking for my name, flight number and time. He also asked me to show my ticket and passport. I hesitated for a second and then showed it to him. As my flight boarded late, I was nervous about changing the tickets and spending more time at the airport. He tried to calm me down by saying that I had 3 hours before my flight. I was not convinced because I did not know how long it will take to get from the terminal I arrived at, to the terminal where I would catch my next flight. I was not familiar with the airport and was worried that it might take a long time to navigate through it. The man explained me that it will take a few minutes and that we would be leaving in 5 minutes. I finally calmed down, sat on the airport bench and started to text to my family and Professor, that I was almost in Davao. He same man sat on the same bench filling papers and curiously looking at me. That disturbed me, because I do not like strangers staring at me. He then asked me where I am from, if it was my first visit, where I was heading. At some point I felt my fear go away. My attitude changed towards that person, because he was kind. I people watched for the next couple of hours and noticed that Filipinos smile to strangers. The same airport worker helped me with the luggage without even asking him to and later said to take care. That was really nice of him. He became, the person who shaped my attitude about Filipinos – They are welcoming and kind to strangers, while I was suspicious and cold.