Cockroaches

I hate cockroaches. Every time we go further from central Mindanao I see more and more of them. I feel disgust towards them—and it might be because of my “princessness.” They are the live creatures unwelcome in my territory and occupy everything: the hotel, my room, on my bed. Or do they think that I am in their territory?! I am bringing delicious fruits, banana chips to the room, maybe I smell food when I come from dinner or lunch ….maybe I look like food to them? Some of them are small and not so disgusting but others are huge, glistening with looong whiskers and they fly!

Seeing my reaction to cockroaches (screaming, jumping, running around or running out of the room) Miranda asked if we had cockroaches in Kazakhstan. I said none that I have ever seen…. We have different types of insects but they are not so scary, especially after the cockroaches that I saw in USA and Philippines. Our insects look different and I am used to seeing them but not to these “guys”.

One day we were in a hotel and I was so upset and scared that I decided not to sleep and offered Miranda to leave the light on. You can’t imagine what she did for me. If I tell the story it wont be funny but witnessing it would be unforgivable. Long story short, she fixed a camping net on my bed. The net is of high quality and so fine that none of those cockroaches could get through it. It was the best night because I knew, even though they are on my territory, that I was in a safe zone.