Mission Blue Oceanic MPA Workshop

This past week, I was sent to Washington D.C. to attend the Mission Blue Oceanic MPA Workshop. Mission Blue is a concept spearheaded by Sylvia Earle and the National Geographic Society (NGS) that seeks to preserve as much of the ocean as possible– and more specifically, at least 20%.

WildAid’s particular interest in this workshop was their emphasis on managing high seas MPAs and figuring out the best ways to establish compliance and enforce their no take status. Personally, I sought to make some good contacts that could potentially contribute to my publication with WildAid on marine enforcement, since the guests included various MPA managers, donors, and some government officials.

I took a red-eye flight from SFO to BWI on Monday night and arrived early Tuesday morning.

I took a cab straight to the conference, since I was definitely cutting it close and enjoyed the sights along the way. The ride took a little over an hour with traffic, but we finally made it.

After some coffee and a quick breakfast, the group of about 30-40 people sat down to listen to a few speakers.

Elliott Norse– the president of the Marine Conservation Institute and someone I met at MIIS through Dr. Charlie Wahle– was one of the speakers and he gave us some really great background information on oceanic MPAs.

After a short break, we gathered into action teams where we were trying to figure out specific action items to progress the mission. My team was focused on enforcement and consisted of a few MPA managers, some Coast Guard representatives, and a few nonprofits.

We ended up with some great ideas and initiatives, as well as specific action items that individuals would take.

The next day, we continued working on our initiatives and then we all made individual promises to continue with the mission, with specific action items we would take.

The conference was a lot of fun, and I think we made excellent progress. I also managed to meet some very interesting people and acquire the contacts I needed for my publication, and potential guests for our conference.

53 thoughts on “Mission Blue Oceanic MPA Workshop

1. Enrique Strieter

I enjoy you because of your own hard work on this web page. My niece really loves conducting investigations and it’s really easy to see why. We all notice all about the lively mode you convey important tips and hints through this blog and increase contribution from other individuals on that idea plus our child is in fact becoming educated a lot of things. Enjoy the rest of the new year. Your performing a powerful job.

2. erodate

It’s impossible to deny which you may want website visitors to your website so that you can have great results via the internet. The most effective like visitors are no-cost targeted traffic. Where is where to generate free trafficseo

3. Injury Law Firm

Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website? I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

4. enci

tempat detailing mobil di jakarta

5. Sherrie

These are great tools and I’m definitely trying the others! I also recommend Phlanx’s Collaboration Portal – you can find a lot of opportunities listed by business owners – small and big brands. Bloggers are also posting on that site to find collaborations. I use this free tool to find bloggers I can collaborate with – to help promote my products and boost my engagement and sales. Hope you can check it out. Cheers!

6. crack4sure

We provide the most advanced and easy to use material. We work to install a strong willingness to learn while improving your knowledge. We want all of customers to become liberated, talented, confident professionals in their 200-901 certification. By providing you with all the tools and study material you need to succeed, we wish to help you further your career and become the skillful you can while ensuring you have the confidence to forward your knowledge and options in the IT field. Because; we have the special feature in 200-901 dump. https://www.crack4sure.com/200-901-dumps.html

7. tocoloring

Coloring pages for kids
    coloring pages for kids pdf
    coloring pages for kids disney
    coloring pages for kids animals
    coloring pages for kids unicorn
    coloring pages for kids cars
    coloring pages for kids girls
    coloring pages for kids princess
    coloring pages for kids boys
    coloring pages for kids dinosaurs

8. mason ethan

Do you also face problems with Geography assignment topics? So don’t worry, we will help you! We provide you the best Academic Writing Geography Assignment help Services at a very low cost. Browse our website to get the best help for research paper writing. Our professionals will do everything possible to help you.

9. Kashif Rana

The season of Christmas is upon us with beating drums, flying banners, and the November breeze. We are recovering from the worst pandemic and blessing is returning back to us. I hope you would like to add Christmas colors to your and others’ lives through the embroidery designs and patterns.
    Claim your design or order for custom digitizing.
    Select your design: Christmas machine embroidery patterns

10. Vengy Gaga

2 player unblocked games
    2 player unblocked live video games are basic online videos games that can be played at school unblocked games provide 100+ 2 player games on their sites in various categories like Sports, race, war, adventures, actions, puzzles, shooting, and so on that their competitors will not provide, and the best thing about this website is once new titles come out, it notifies you and displays a list of new unblocked games across from you.

11. Online Exam Help

Many of the students are searching for online courses, online exams and online classes. We are here for provide you the best site for your academic career. Get Exam Done is the website where you can learn with our Experts teachers.

12. KhaleesiWilkes

Hi, I wanted to take this opportunity to tell you all a few things you might want know. People now is growing to many sources. Either through their skills or strategy depending on how determined you are. How about doing this at the same time? Have fun, have your own strategy and earn. You might be one of our asset. Here: okbet sports

13. mihirmane

If you’re an actor create your acting portfolio for free and apply for freelance acting jobs in short films, singing jobs in albums, dancing jobs in events. Of you’re a model looks for a break apply to freelance model jobs to get fashion shows, modelling jobs in India without any auditions. acting auditions