NY Union Semester Internship (stipend, scholarship, academic credit)
The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies is currently accepting applications for spring 2014. The NY Union Semester combines hands-on experience at a New York City labor union or other worker host organization with academic course work. This one-semester internship is open to undergraduates, college graduates and graduate students from the U.S. and other countries.
- Intern 32-hours each week for 15 weeks on organizing campaigns, policy research, training programs or other activities.
- Complete four labor studies courses at the Murphy Institute. Undergraduate students earn 16 college credits. Graduates earn 12 credits.
- Receive a Certificate in Labor Studies from the School of Professional Studies (SPS), CUNY.
- Undergraduates: minimum of 45 credits and 2.5 GPA
- Graduates: BA/BS or a at least a 3.0 GPA in a post-baccalaureate program
- • A commitment to social and economic justice
Host organizations provide interns with:
- A $1,900 scholarship toward the cost of in-state tuition and fees
- A $210/week stipend and
- A monthly transit allowance to cover the cost of an unlimited Metrocard
How to Apply: Complete the application and a telephone interview. More Information on the program can be found at www.unionsemester.org. You can access the application from the union semester website or here. Application Deadline is November 18th. Students are notified within six weeks after they are interviewed. Placements are limited and the selection process is competitive. Interested participants are welcome to join an informational conference call on either Wednesday, October 9th or Monday, November 4th at 5:30 PM. Questions? Contact the NY Union Semester Outreach Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212.642.2011 for more information.